Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig bass hoop repaint?

Hi all,

Looking to repaint a set of 70's Ludwig bass hoops, and can't tell (due to they're condition) wether the black paint was either gloss or flat on these hoops.

...Any suggestions for the above, and possible a brand/type of paint?

Thanks Much.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey stixx,

I don't know for sure ,but every time I see a redone hoop on E-Bay,it sure looks glossy.

I masked the inlay with tape and sanded the you know what out of mine and sprayed several light coats of gloss black and man,did they come out nice.

I am no authority on restoration and just wanted mine to look good and I am very satisfied.

TRDutch

Posted on 16 years ago

TRDutch,

cool thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

Just wanted to bump this thread a bit -

Can anyone recommend a certain type of black paint/lacquer that Ludwig would've used for the late 60's early 70's hoops?

Posted on 16 years ago

Searching back through the old posts using "hoops paint" as the search criteria I could not find any specific recommendation for a paint type.

Things mentioned:

1. Good semi-gloss enamel paint was recommended in a previous post by our webmaster regarding Rogers hoops.

2. A total repaint was recommended over touch-ups due to non-matching finishes.

3. Masking inlays is commonly recommended over removing them... I second that motion after trying both a couple times.

That's the sum total of my research on past threads.. sorry, nothing to earth shaking in there.

Wait a minute... here's an update from another old post:

Question: "4. Also what color should I paint the hoops on the bass drum. I have sanded them and dont know to paint them a gloss black or a semi-gloss black. What will look more authentic?

Answer: Lacquer Black Spray Paint, Krylon or Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black

I have never used High gloss, but others might and you should also primer them first. Did you remove the inlay?

David"

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Awesome, Jim! Amazing how quick that reply was. Thanks..

Posted on 16 years ago

This is how I did mine, suggested by Latindrum over at Ghostnote. Sanded them, primer, 0000 fine steel wool, black (flat black), 0000 fine steel wool, paint, 0000, then use clear coat to bring out the gloss. If you use gloss black paint, it generally comes out like crap. The 0000 fine steel wool works great inbetween coats. I removed the inlays before starting, then reapplied after completing the paint process.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 16 years ago

That's a great idea. The guys at GN really have it going on.

Posted on 16 years ago

For anyone interested in this topic - I ended up buying the Krylon SemiGloss (which they seem to call Semi Flat?) to try out and it looks great! It definitely isn't glossy like newer hoops today, which I like because all of the older 60's and 70's drums I've dealt with have all had a more dulled shiny, near-flat paint.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here