Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig bass drum i d help

Hi guys, just brought this drum home that was given to me. thought maybe it was a marching drum but not sure. there are no legs mounted on it nor is there any holes where legs had been mounted. also there is no harness bracket. there are no extra holes drilled in the drum. anybody have any ideas? also wondering the year. someone did write 1976 on the badge with pencil but not sure if that is the year it was made. it is a 22x14

any ideas or info is appreciated.

photos added.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 2 years ago

No leg holes- possibly a concert bass, which used to be put on a folding stand.

We had a similar arrangement at my high school (back in the 80’s) but it was a 26” in our case if I recall correctly (and no flashy finish!)

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

Wow that is a beautiful bass drum. The pencil date seems about right.

that is interesting as to what it's original intended use was

Most marchers would not have the classic t-rods

and the badge placement and orientation is unlike most marching bass drums

It seems too small to be a concert bass? But it must have been intended as one.

If it were mine, I would add a pair of vintage hoop mounted spurs, but nothing more.

Posted on 2 years ago

Referencing Rick Gier's Ludwig Serial Dating guide your serial number (1102433) is most likely approx. '74. He has an interesting article on his website explaining why so many blue/olive badge Ludwig drums are mistakenly identified as being '76. See Study #6

https://www.gretschdrumdatingguide.com/other-projects.html

Posted on 2 years ago

That is an interesting bass drum. I can agree to the possibility of it being a cradle drum for concert band use....but it's a weird size for that.

It's probably just my eyes, but it looks as if there is some hoop rash....from a pedal clamp...? I forget how the badge would have been oriented if it was for use in a kit....Would the badge be closer to the drummer? Or would it be at the front (resonant) side? I sold my blue Sparkle Deluxe Classic years ago and I can't recall.

Anyway, IF it were to have been used as a kit drum, then it would have had to have some kind of hoop-mounted spurs... Any indication of that kind of wear on the hoops? That's a crazy guess, anyway. I don't think anyone would have done that....but this one is kind of a head scratcher. I'll be curious to read what others think about what it could be.

Maybe it's a drum that was part of a mechanical circus contraption Animatronics orchestrion things and it was mounted into a cabinet or something....? pssssh...I'm all out of guesses!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

thanks for you input guys. this drum has me very puzzled. there are no indents on either hoop, just dirt that looks like tape residue to me, also the paint on the hoops is flaking off, but it really doesn't look like anything has been clamped on them.

it does seem like an odd size for a concert bass, it is the exact same size as the kick drum on my '60s ludwigs. it actually looks exactly like my '60s kick, the only difference is the badge, and of course mine is set up as a kick bass.

any other ideas? I can take more pictures if needed.

it sure is a nice looking drum.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 2 years ago

From slingerfan

Referencing Rick Gier's Ludwig Serial Dating guide your serial number (1102433) is most likely approx. '74. He has an interesting article on his website explaining why so many blue/olive badge Ludwig drums are mistakenly identified as being '76. See Study #6https://www.gretschdrumdatingguide.com/other-projects.html

thank you for this info. I have not been able to read all of it yet, but plan to do so. might even read some of the other information in this link, it all looks interesting. thanks again.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here