Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Ludwig Bass Drum Hoops

Is there a way to tell if a BD hoop is actually a Ludwig hoop, and how approximately date it?

I bought a '67 keystone badge SBP kit to learn on and it came with generic black hoops with no inlays. I've picked up a couple of 22" hoops that were sold as late '60s/early '70s Ludwig hoops and I noticed that one has a scarf joint and the inlays are stapled into place. The other has a flat butt joint in the wood and the inlay seams have a single tack on the end of each inlay.

Are both styles Ludwig hoops and just from a different era?

Posted on 15 years ago

date it...no.

Actually tell.....nnnnot exactly. Basically, just measure the inlay width. If it matches a bona-fide Luddy one, ther you have it. if not, then not.

Problem is, I think Luddy widths are the same as either Rogers or Slingy widths, as well.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have a Luddy set with a matching champagne inlay, but the strip is wider. I'm assuming the prev. owner got lucky and found it. I'd be curious to know what brand that hoop is; I think the inlay's about 5/8" wide.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here