Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig Auditorium Model SD Reproduction

Hey, just completed a new "reproduction" snare drum, this one cut down from a 12x15 WFL marcher: A Ludwig 6.5x15 "Auditorium" model snare drum. I used the 1971 Ludwig catalog as a guide, and used the same process I used on my Jazz Festival reproductions.

This one's got a maple PSA veneer for the finish, and old but new heads.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

Well done! I can only imagine that snare has a huge sound.

Posted on 11 years ago

Nice work! I'd never guess it was a chop. I'm sure it sounds great!!

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

That is a great looking snare. Keep feeding us (me) ideas. :)

Do the 12x15 marchers with center mounted lugs work out to 6.5 inches when you move the lugs down one mounting hole and drill new bottom holes?

This might be one of my next attempts, after I finish my Jazzfest reproduction.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

From thornbeck

That is a great looking snare. Keep feed us (me) ideas. :)Do the 12x15 marchers with center mounted lugs work out to 6.5 inches when you move the lugs down one mounting hole and drill new bottom holes?This might be one of my next attempts, after I finish my Jazzfest reproduction.-Tim

No, I had to drill new holes altogether. That's why this one is now painted white on the inside (was clear mahogany): the white paint covers the filled holes.

Honestly, this idea came to me because I've got some 12x15 shells (out of 10x14s now!) that I really didn't know what to do with. I didn't realize until just a couple of weeks ago that Ludwig offered this size (6.5x15) when I stumbled across the info in an old catalog as I was researching something else! Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try... and this is what came out! The drum actually has a very deep, strong tone.

This will be my last one of these for awhile, as I'm now out of the bowtie lugs (until of course, I find and aquire more!). I do have some other 10x14 6-ply marching shells, and I've spotted a "Colisium" model drum that I'm going to reproduce. It takes the longer bowtie lugs (BD & FT Club Date lugs) and I've got some of those... maybe enough for two drums. And, with the 6-ply construction there is no re-ring removal and re-install; just recutting the new bearing edge.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 11 years ago

Thought I'd "test the waters" on this one on eBay. Put it up with a Buy-it-Now for $199.99 + shipping. It sold Thursday!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here