Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Atlas tom mount and vintage 3 ply Sligerland shells

From kevins

Yes he is....I'm talking about staying with the original mounting hardware for early 60s Slingerland toms, which is either the diamond spade arm or possibly the early version of the Set-O-Matic mounting system. The spade arm style could possibly be mated with a cymbal stand using a modern cymbal stand clamp, and I have used the Set-O-Matic style using the non-D shaped down tube version for mounting straight into a cymbal stand.Thanks

The tom on his kit has the diamond plate mounted to the shell with 4 bolts. He has the rail with the spade arm on the kick. He wants a virgin kick. His thoughts were to hang the tom using the Atlas lug mount on the tom, and use the Atlas arm to mount to a cymbal stand.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Mo Tonkie

I've used the atlas mounts on 13" and 14" 3-ply Ludwig toms with no signs of stress/deformation over a 2-year period. I would assume that the psi on the shell would be similar to or even less than what is applied to a 3 ply bass drum supporting two rack toms. Here's a bad pic of the 14" tom w/Atlas mount.

Thanks for the reply and the photo. Nice kit by the way.

Posted on 6 years ago

From ludwigold

The tom on his kit has the diamond plate mounted to the shell with 4 bolts. He has the rail with the spade arm on the kick. He wants a virgin kick. His thoughts were to hang the tom using the Atlas lug mount on the tom, and use the Atlas arm to mount to a cymbal stand.

I 100% understand that.

Again, I'm suggesting using a clamp on a cymbal stand that will accept the arm of the L-arm spade mount....

Thanks

Kevin
Posted on 6 years ago

Not to throw a monkey wrench in here, but what about using a RIMS type of mount? Cheaper than the Atlas mount, more flexible too because you can fit any type of mount to it from practically any brand and just use a multi clamp to hang said tom arm off a stand......

Posted on 6 years ago

From ludwigold

My buddy is fixing up a 4 piece, 1962 Slingy kit. I'll be doing the re-wrap for him. He likes the look of the Atlas tom mount, LAPAM1 for his 13"Both of us are questioning the durability of the 3 ply shell. Once all the hardware and hoops are on, will the shell take the weight and the continuous hitting ? The Atlas mount is using the 2 holes for a single lug. If anyone has this mount on a 3 ply shell, I would like to hear your thoughts about the above concerns.Thanks

If your referring to the new atlas mount, then I've had it on my 6 ply big beat 13" tom and also had it on my bass drum to mount my 20" ride cymbal and it was absolutely solid, looked sleek, and resonated the tom very nicely. The mount has some space for "movement" preventing possible stiff swaying or bending of the shell which can cause damage to the shell. It also holds 3 ply classic and legacy maple shells solidly. I personally think its the best innovation Ludwig has come out with in decades. Hope this helps !

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks to all for the input.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here