Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig and Ludwig snare drum photos

Ludwig and Ludwig snare drum Photos

Hello,

Thanks for your help,

The number 4902 is stamped inside the drum. I guess that is the date stamp but I have no idea how to decipher the date. Does it maybe mean February 1949?

Just a couple of other things, the top skin has a small bit of mould near the edge of the skin. Is it still playable or would you recommend putting a new head on it? I would really like to play this drum and see how it sounds. It seems to resonate well.

Also the wood has a reddish colour to it, any ideas on what type of wood it may be?

Tried to post a good photo of the logo but I can't upload it becaus the file is too big.

Thanks again.

Edit/Delete Message

Attached Thumbnails

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, Feb. '09. It's a 3 ply mahogany interior shell. In the "old" days, it was common for drummers to repair calf heads with a rip or hole. If you like the sound, go for it.

I have a set that has calf heads, and a friend told me that, if I like the sound of them with the calf (which I really do), I shouldn't take them off, as the calf contours to the shell. Makes sense, as I once had a drum with a calf head...took it off, and when I put it back, it never sounded good.

Posted on 16 years ago

All you have to do is damp the head before putting it back on,not too much just untill it get floopy and loose,try on to get the flesh hoop too wet,put the head on the drum with the counter hoop and tension up till you get a small collar over the drum and let to dry after a day or so tension up and the head will be moulded to the bearing edges.The head should then sound fine.If in a hurry you can put it on dry but as has been said it will not sound as good and will not last as long. Dion

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here