Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig and Ludwig snare drum help

Hello,

I'm a new member. I recently bought a snare drum and I want to find out more about it's origins. I have surfed the web without much luck so thought I would see if anyone here can help.

It is a white lacquer snare drum, about 6"by 14", calfskin heads, 6 tube style lugs, has a snappi snare brand snare wires, and has "Ludwig and Ludwig, made in USA Elkhart Indiana stamped on the top hoop. Both hoop are flat and have claw hook attached to the tension rods. It's a very light weight snare drum.

Anyone have any idea what model snare drum this is and when it was made?

Thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

Pictures would be helpful, but most 6 luggers were student models, sounds like you have "stick chopper" hoops, which got their name for the fact the didn't have a rounded edge and broke sticks fairly quickly when using rimshots. According to the Ludwig book by Rob Cook (thanks again David) Ludwig got bought out by Conn and moved to Elkhart in 1930, the drum badge for Elkhart started showing up in the late 30's and 40's, even though the manufacturing was done in Elkhart after Ludwig got bought, they still used Chicago badges with the Ludwig and Ludwig stamp

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

The Elkhart badge showed up in the late '40s. There may be a date stamp inside the drum...probably xx4x.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for your help,

The number 4902 is stamped inside the drum. I guess that is the date stamp but I have no idea how to decipher the date. Does it maybe mean February 1949?

Just a couple of other things, the top skin has a small bit of mould near the edge of the skin. Is it still playable or would you recommend putting a new head on it? I would really like to play this drum and see how it sounds. It seems to resonate well.

Also the wood has a reddish colour to it, any ideas on what type of wood it may be?

Thanks again.

Posted on 16 years ago

Mold on the skin would lead me to think it's calfskin for the head. As far as the reddish tint, probably mahogany with maple reinforcement rings....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here