Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Ludwig & Ludwig Top Hat set

This is an original Ludwig & Ludwig Top Hat set that must have been custom ordered after the war. The shells are dated 1945 & 46, the bass drum & the snare have brass badges & white interiors & are dated 1946. The floor tom & the tom tom are white badges & clear interiors & are dated 1945. The sizes are 9x13 Tom, 12X14 Floor Tom, 7X14 Snare & 14X26 Bass. This is not the usual configuration for these sets normally there was an additional 11" tom mounted on large rail that held both the 11" & 13" tom toms & from what I understand these sets were made in the early 1940's (41?). Another anomaly is that the floor tom is a 12X14 with leg mounts & 7 lugs. But this set was originally was made this way, there are no extra holes whatsoever.

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

uve got to be kidding me that is so awesome man oh man

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Awesome kit. If you would have asked me 30 years ago, I would have considered this finish as crap for the bin, but in the meantime I love this black painting over WMP. Bowing

If I recall correctly, here in Europe such a kit was sold via ebay for approx. EUR 2,000 a few months ago.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

From MikeJtone

This is an original Ludwig & Ludwig Top Hat set that must have been custom ordered after the war. The shells are dated 1945 & 46, the bass drum & the snare have brass badges & white interiors & are dated 1946. The floor tom & the tom tom are white badges & clear interiors & are dated 1945. The sizes are 9x13 Tom, 12X14 Floor Tom, 7X14 Snare & 14X26 Bass. This is not the usual configuration for these sets normally there was an additional 11" tom mounted on large rail that held both the 11" & 13" tom toms & from what I understand these sets were made in the early 1940's (41?). Another anomaly is that the floor tom is a 12X14 with leg mounts & 7 lugs. But this set was originally was made this way, there are no extra holes whatsoever.

Hello....WOW !!!! Can you tell us any details on how you discovered this set and what condition it was in when you received the kit? What is the value of the Kit?

Thanks,

Dave in VA

Posted on 12 years ago

Wowie! Please tell us more about the history of this set and maybe more pictures.

larry

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks,,

I bought this set from Steve Maxwell who a top notch vintage drum dealer, he told me that this drum set had been in another drum store for nearly 50 years. My understanding is that the drum store where this set has been for many years took these drums in from the original owner to sell (must have been back in the 50's) & that is where they had been since he came into pocession of them. It would be interesting to find either the original owner or someone in the family who might know about how these drums came to be ordered this way - but at least the drums are here to speak for themselves. It is kind of neat to have this original finish in a 4 piece set.

Mike

Posted on 12 years ago

NICE!! Eye BallEye Ball

Posted on 12 years ago

Congrats on your kit , it looks like you hit the mother load Bowing.

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 12 years ago

Now there's something you don't see everyday. Love the kit!

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks again for the compliments on the set!

Referring back to some questions & comments from Ralf & Dave & Larry -

As far as value goes these are expensive sets, maybe this set has a few check marks against it because it is a later dated set and it is not in the original configuration - but you could say that it adds value due to its rarity & uniqueness?

Here is a link to a set that was sold in Europe - don't know when but the numbers are definitely in the ball park.

http://www.vintagedrumyard.com/archvdetail.asp?product=Vintage%20Drums&style=Drum%20Kit&manuf=Ludwig&ref=L26111316TH1

So if another original set in good condition sold for $2,000 Euro's, I would love to be the buyer!

I will dig up a couple other pictures that I got from Steve.

Thanks again,

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here