Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Ludwig & Ludwig Snare

Hello all. I have come accross many old and vintage drums over the years and have one here that I need help identifying. Ludwig & Ludwig badge from Elkhart tells me it's from '46-'50 sometime. 8 Imperial lugs, original snappi snares. I haven't taken it apart yet, but the bottom calf skin head is torn allowing me to see the inside of the shell. It is a wood shell with reinforcement rings. There's a large round muffler that has a small knurled knob for adjusting. There's a hole in the knob for the screw to come thru if you raised the muffler high enough. The interior looks like its painted white and the number 4901 is stamped inside. I bought it with a matching bass drum from original owner that said they thought they got it in '48. Looks like white marine pearl. What's the model name and how rare is it? It is is great to excellent shape. Let me know at:

[email="jeffnjamie129@insightbb.com"]jeffnjamie129@insightbb.com[/email]

Thanks,

Jeff

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/ludwig-ludwig-wmp_th.jpg[/img]

Posted on 18 years ago

That looks like the "Ludwig & Ludwig Standard Snare Drum" with the Extension Snare Strainer.

I have not seen a lot of these drums with the extension strainer. They do come up on Ebay once in awhile, but in regards to rarity it is hard to say. I think any L&L in WMP is a nice drum and harder to find because of its age. If the wrap is clean and the drum is all original it is rare in that regards, since many are missing parts or have finish problems etc..

I guess if there was a rarity scale this would be a 5 or 6 and a Slingerland Black Beauty would be a 10. Hmmm... I have never heard of a rarity scale so just take that as an opinion and others will have a different opinion and that is the best part of collecting. If we all agreed on everything it would not be as fun!

Other collectors and dealers on the forum can shed more light and maybe a rarity scale will catch on!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I had that drum in BDP. It was in near mint condition. I felt the Elkhart badge would add "rarity" appeal, but when I auctioned it on ebay it only got around $500.

Posted on 18 years ago

Your snare is rarer than most. These snares are most often seen without the extension bridges and the typical 3 point strainer. They are seen less frequently with those bridges, but they are seen even less frequently with the strainer you have on your drum. Your drum has the strainer that has a three position function for the throw off. You don't see these very often at all. I have an example of this on the Top Hat and Cane original set that is on my website. If you check it out you'll see the strainer in the SD shot. So, my personal take on it is that your drum would be one of the rarer examples of this era and as a result, should be worth a premium.

Steve

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here