Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Ludwig & Ludwig snare-Elkhart Indiana

Hello:

I'm trying to find date of manufacture and approximate value for a Ludwig & Ludwig snare drum.

Description: 14" x 5" wood shell-interior is natural-outside white lacquer. Stamped inside shell 4703, six tube lugs-magnet does not stick, clip style hooks, double flanged rims-magnet does stick, rim engraved Ludwig & Ludwig made in USA Elkhart Indiana, small Pioneer style throw off with 12 strand snappy snares, calf skin heads. No extra holes appears to be all original. This drum came with a very lightweight stand, similar to the folding style sheet music stands used for school band etc, and a couple of red plastic grip brushes with red ball at handle end. Also a fiber case with leather handle and reinforced metal corners, that just closed one half onto the other-no straps. Any help with the I.D. of this drum is much appreciated. I've attached a few pics. thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hello again:

I meant to describe the rims as single flange. thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

The date would be March 1947. If the white lacquer is original, the drum is probably worth $2-300. If it's a re-paint, $125-250. The stand stuff that came with it don't have much value.

Even though Ludwig and Ludwig moved to the Conn factory in Elkhart in 1930, they continued to use the "Chicago" badge until the later 1940s, when they put Elkhart on the badge.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the help. I was wondering if the stamp was month/year so, I appreciate your clarification. This drum doesn't have a badge but is stamped/engraved on the rim "Ludwig & Ludwig made is USA Elkhart Indiana."

I believe the paint is original as it has the appropriate wear and even aging for a 60 year old drum, could be wrong but it appears to be factory original. Cool!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here