Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig & Ludwig 6 1/2 X 14 Brass 6-tube lug snare. Please help identify

Hey all,

This is a recent purchase of mine. 6 tube lugs, NOB, stamped "Ludwig & Ludwig Chicago" on the shell. The butt plate and rims are not original. 2 piece shell. What era is this instrument from? is is pre 1929 Conn buyout, or is it of the time when the Ludwig & Ludwig offices were in Chicago while the drums rolled off the same assembly line as Leedy, in Elkhart? Sice it's a 6 lug model, I am inclined to think it's some sort of student model. The pictures are the only ones I have, atm, they're from this drum's eBay listing. Any input is greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

Travis

5 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

The drum looks like an early top of the line 1920s L&L Standard Model...it's definitely pre-Conn as 6 luggers came first (late teens/very early 1920s) then 8 luggers (mid-1920s) and finally 10 luggers (1926 +/- to 1935)...hope that helps.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike,

Thanks so much for this info! I suspected that this drum came from the early 20's/late teens era, but didn't want to get my hopes up. The shell does have the soldered bearing edges, bearing that in mind (no pun intended), is this the same shell as the original Black Beauty AKA Inspiration Model? The next of my questions is: Is there anyone that makes reproduction butt plates for this era of L&L as well as straight hoops? Once again, thanks for making my day.

Travis Garaffa

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Mike,Thanks so much for this info! I suspected that this drum came from the early 20's/late teens era, but didn't want to get my hopes up. The shell does have the soldered bearing edges, bearing that in mind (no pun intended), is this the same shell as the original Black Beauty AKA Inspiration Model? The next of my questions is: Is there anyone that makes reproduction butt plates for this era of L&L as well as straight hoops? Once again, thanks for making my day. Travis Garaffa

Glad to help...yes, that's the same shell used for L&L DeLuxes/Triumphals etc...

Call me at my drum studio: 650-595-2022...I have correct of-the-era butt plates...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

Once again, thank you. I look forward to talking to you.

Travis

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here