Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Acrolite shell material?

I was always under the assumption that what made an Acrolite and and Acrolite was the aluminum shell. I work at a music store and I had a customer come in that was dead set on the idea that Ludwig changed the Acrolite later on to a steel shell to save money. I did see that the two that we had in stock were different in finish--but, so are the new Galaxy finished Acrolites and those are in deed aluminum.

Is there any truth to this?

I also did "The Magnet Test" on the shell and it didn't stick like a steel shell should.

Posted on 16 years ago

The Acrolite was the same shell as the Supraphonic when manufactured from 1963-1993. Only difference is the Acro was 8 lugger, the Supraphonic 10 lugger and chrome plated. The Acro was anodized to a light grey color. During the mid-80's Ludwig powder coated which caused a lighter color of grey. In 1993 the powder coating was changed to a black metal flake finish called Galaxy. Not aware of them changing to steel shells, although I have heard of Ludalloy, which I believe is the same shell as mentioned earlier.

For what it's worth

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Great--That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here