Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

ludwig acrolite muffler

In the process of restoring a 70's 14X5 ludwig snare drum. Intact, but for a few washers. Is it normal that the threads on the muffler tension screw be compromised, so the muff tension set up doesn't come apart? I can see that the threads are messed about 1/4" away from the end of the rod. Any expertise appreciated.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes they are made that way from the factory, put the end between two blocks of wood on your bench vise, and by holding the knob with gloves on turn it until it comes off, a few choice words may help also. good luck baby crawl2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you. I was thinking about recutting the threads on the end, but you will end up with the problem they are fixing. So from your experience, it will come apart and go back together?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, it will work fine, by taking it off it will thread the end of the muffler shaft,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago

It's better to tighten the knob all the way to the shell even by helping to tighten with your hand on the muffler towards the shell and then run a tap over the exposed end to clean up the threads. In this way, the nut can be spun off with no difficulty and without stripping it also...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here