Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Acrolite - but how does it sound today?

Hi! Just got a question, as I don't really have much knowledge of vintage drums (but do enjoy looking at them and wishing I can afford em!)

Heard al ot about this drum (who hasn't/) especially 60's models - but how would it stand up to a modern drum in terms of ability to cut through volume etc? I'd be using it an extreme music situation, but I love the idea of putting older drums into those situations - I think it's true things were made with much more care then!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 18 years ago

I would say the drum is very versatile and probably one of the most played drums in the history of drums. With that said it could probably handle any situation.

The Supraphonic also could probably fall in one of the most recorded drums in history category and you can find them pretty cheap if they are beat up or cosmetically not appealing.

So those two Ludwig drums are still sought after and used extensively in a variety of situations and it is worth finding one. I have an acrolite that I will sell for what I paid if you really want one, but it was painted. The paint can be removed and I planned on restoring it, but it will save me the time if I just sell it. So $75 plus shipping (case and stand not included)

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hey thanks again! I do want to own an older snare to fit in with my sound - Snare is the heart of your sound, so it would be nice to find a good vintage snare that fits in with what I do. Thanks for the offer too - I'm not too concerned about cosmetics! Problem is I'm in the UK, but even with shipping and tax, I'm interested - with both those, do you think it would come to no more than ?140 dollars? Anyway PM me if you would still consider sending overseas!

Incidentally, played a show last night and one of the other guys had an old Ludwig 400 - found it neglected in a school cupboard and got it for nothing - must say it did have a nice full sound, and cut through a lot of noisy stuff!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here