Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Acrolite and Atlas stand

I just snagged a 1967 keystone badge Acrolite that came with the carrying case and Atlas stand. The seller said that the stand was "orchestra height" or something to that effect, meaning that it adjusted high enough to play standing up.

The snare is in great shape and sounds good, and I like the stand but it doesn't go low enough to play sitting at a kit. Were there two versions of the Atlas stands with one maybe having a longer post on the upper section? Would this be a rare version of the stand that I might want to sell so I can replace it with a normal version or would cutting a couple of inches off the post not really devalue it at all?

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, there were two versions. One was for orchestral or "stand-up" use and the other was suited for lower drum set playing. I've had both come with snare drums I've purchased in the past (and re-sold). Don't cut down the orchestral one. Just sell it and get another one with a shorter tube. Now that you know the difference, it's easy to spot the one you'll need for drum set application.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Are the base sections on both versions the same height with the only difference being the upper post, or is the bottom half also shorter on the sit-down version?

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

Bottom half is shorter

Posted on 16 years ago

Are they low enough to do rack toms?

D

Posted on 16 years ago

mmmmmaybe. I can't say for sure. I've never wanted to mount a tom on a snare stand, so I've never tried it. I suppose it would depend on personal ergonomics, too. I'm not sure what John Bonham used...I know he used a snare stand of some kind....I assume it was a Ludwig stand.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here