Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

ludwig 70s era rivet seams

I recently saw a ludwig kit on eBay, it's a monster. 14x24 14x10 18x16. Blue/olive badges. The seams on the wrap are held together with rivets. The drums don't have re-rings and are six ply. When did ludwig make this style of shell? Was it made concurrently with the 3ply shell? How do these shells sound in comparison to the 3ply shells with the re-rings?

Posted on 18 years ago

I had thought about this post and do remember seeing shells like this with the rivets. The auction has probably ended, but did it have a pointy or rounded B/O badge.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

The b/o badges on the drumset had rounded corners. I believe ludwig started making these drums in the late 70's. This particular kit looks like it had the L-bracket tom-mount. However, I recently bought a book called Rock Hardware by Tony Bacon which showcases rock instruments and gear. It was printed in the early 80's and it has a lot of photos in the drums and percussion chapter of these rivet seam ludwigs. The kits in the book have super deep tom-tom shells and a pearl style tom-tom mount with big triangular mounting brackets. So I think this was kind of a transition kit between the 70's and 80's--still retaining some of the qualities of a 3-ply 70's kit but transitioning toward the hard rock super-sturdy kits of the 80's. Also, this was probably ludwigs contribution to the trend towards thick shells that other companies like slingerland and sonor were experimenting with at the time.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here