Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 110.82255%

Ludwig 70's (Atlas?) Model Hi Hat Model Number and other Questions

Greetings,

Nice to be back on the new and improved forum!

Does anyone know the model number of the stand pictured.  I know the flat Base version was the 1123 and the small tripod version is the 1123-1.

Anyway, I came across 2 of these and this is my first restore on this model.  I'm sure you are aware, but I always saw that the common problem on these was that the wing screws at the bottom of the tripod that hold the support rod for the underside of the pedal and the retractable spike are always bent, rusted, stripped, broken or all four!  On one stand I successfully drilled the pedal support rod holding screw hole slightly bigger and re-threaded it to 6mm, so I could use a drum key screw to hold the pedal tight and the drum key screw would be out of the way and not hit the floor.  The other stand I was unsuccessful on.  That "pot metal" that Ludwig used for the bases is so soft that the metal literally fell apart when I tried to re-thread the other one.

Even with my successful thread job, that metal is so soft it feels like it could strip out or fail at any moment.  I'm thinking about using a Helicoil to give those drumkey bolts much more strength and also to not have to cross my fingers every time I set it up or tear it down.

Anyone had success using Helicolis on these model stands, or do they have any other tips or tircks?

Once they are cleaned up, and re-lubriacted, they perform very nicely.  I know they are spring tension adjustable at the bottom, but it doesn't always work.  I added a small plastic spacer in between the top of the spring and the "wings" where the springs compress and it feels really nice.

Thanks for your help,

V

EDIT: Apparently you can't attach pictures right now, even though it looks like it let me.  The stand I am referring to is the one with the longer single braced legs and tension adjustment wheel but is not a Hercules and it's not a swivel foot.  It's just like a swivel foot otherwise, except it has rubber feet instead of swivel feet.

Posted on 1 week ago

It's the 1124 Atlas hihat. In the mid 70s the first tubular legged stands were called Atlas, but once they beefed them up they were renamed to Hercules and the heavy duty single braced stands were once again called Atlas.

Posted on 1 week ago

It's the 1124 Atlas hihat. In the mid 70s the first tubular legged stands were called Atlas, but once they beefed them up they were renamed to Hercules and the heavy duty single braced stands were once again called Atlas.

Posted on 1 week ago
Action Another action Something else here