Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Ludwig 70's 3 ply restoration question

I am restoring/converting a 70's 3 ply that is pretty rough. It has 3 concert toms - 12 X 8, 14 X 10, 16 X 14 and a 24 X 14 bass. The 16 has several extra holes and all of the wrap is rough. The set is rough enough I did not consider keeping it as is. I have already stripped the wrap (what fun that was). I already have all the hardware to convert to normal two headed toms.

Anyway I have a few questions. The concert toms all came with the small lugs and it looks like they are mounted further down the shell than a normal two headed drum. I plan to use the small lugs on the 12 X 8 but I want the lugs to be in the "normal" position.

Does anyone have a 12 X 8 Ludwig they could measure to get the distance from the shell edge to the first lug hole? It would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know how far from the edge of the 16 inch floor tom to the first hole for the large lugs.

Also, (this is a long shot I am sure) but I am looking for a 14 X 14 3 ply shell for this set. I don't care if it is rough even with extra holes (it would match the rest of the set :)). I already have the hardware I need.

Thanks.

Posted on 12 years ago

>I plan to use the small lugs on the 12 X 8 but I want the lugs to be in the "normal" position.

Not going to happen. As you mentioned, the lugs on concert toms are set down further onto the shell. If you measure the same distance from edge to lug for the bottom side, the backs of the lugs will touch each other. My buddy, Kevin solved the problem by staggering the lugs on the shell! It actually looks great and more importantly, the drum works!

>I would also like to know how far from the edge of the 16 inch floor tom to the first hole for the large lugs.

Exactly 1" from bearing edge to the 'top of the lug' (not the first hole,) itself.

Good luck with your project...

Welcome to VDF...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I have already plugged all the holes on the 12 in tom and plan to re-drill in the correct location for a double headed tom. Do you know if the lugs on a normal 12 in tom (using small lugs) are also 1 inch from the bearing edge?

Mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Mike,

I can't do it right now, but I'll go downstairs and measure my 12" for you a little later. Maybe someone will post the number before I can. But I will check it out for you shortly.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Mike,

On my 63' Ludwig 8x12 Hollywood tom from the top of the lug to the bearing edge is exactly 1 3/16ths.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Awesome! 1" 3/16 it is. Thanks for the quick reply.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here