Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig '61 Pioneer snare

Hi,

I'm new here so thanks for having me aboard. I'm restoring a '61 Pioneer from the shell upwards and would like to make the drum as authentic as possible in terms of its fittings. Can you please advise whether these would be nickel or chrome? Also I note that on some of the bow tie lugs I've seen for sale, the female tubes project out from the casings while others are flush. Which is correct for the date? Thanks a lot.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 10 years ago

welcome....

nickel or chrome was an option in 61. either would be appropriate. you want the lugs without the inserts coming out of the casings. the flush models would be correct. good luck! the chrome parts are easier to find than nickel in most cases.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

I have a bunch of nickel ones if you are interested in buying them...some are very nice...

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I think I have sourced the lugs now but still in the market for the muffler, strainer, butt plate, hoops and tension rods. I'm located in New Zealand where such things are scarce!

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 10 years ago

Gerald

if the two muffler holes are close to the same size, you'll need a round knob muffler. the small knob model is period correct(3/4" instead of 1"). if your top hole is much larger, you'll be looking for a baseball bat muffler. the red felt model would be correct. white would work of course. if its a 61, chances are it took the round knob muffler.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Mike. I very much appreciate the info.

Posted on 10 years ago

Need rims for a late 60s Pioneer I just picked up - new ones at Jammin' Sam's or keep hunting on eBay? 6 luggers are hard to find. I do love the Gretsch die casts that came with it but would like to get it as close to original as I can. Thanks.

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-ludwig-snare-drum-/171279135915?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1eFXBf9tcrX779sOi%252BMRrMCR9Y8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/ame]

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but from my attached photo, am I correct that my '61 shell is drilled for a basebal bat muffler? I ask the question becasue I wondered whether I could install a knob muffler instead (without altering the shell) - they seem to be a lot cheaper to buy! Thanks.

1 attachments

Posted on 10 years ago

The size of the top hole looks like it is for a baseball base muffler. The knob type would be smaller. With the use of some appropriate size washers you might adapt a knob muffler...don't know, never tried it. Someone here may have the answer.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 10 years ago

drum is looking good Gerald!

gary is correct. you can use a couple of flat washers to mount a round knob muffler in the bat holes without modifying the shell. just get it centered up correctly. they make several different round knob mufflers. I think you would want one with the knob above the mounting bolt. also, the early 60's style knobs were the 3/4 round knobs. Ludwig brought the round knobs back out in 68 and some had large one inch knobs. hope this helps some..

mike

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here