Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig 60's wood shell snares?

I am considering adding a matching wood shell snare to my 1965 silver sparkle Ludwig kit (I already have and love my 1965 supra) I just had a few questions regarding 60?s wood shell Ludwig snare drums.

Am I correct in assuming the Jazz Festival is the 8 lugger and the Pioneer the 6 lugger?

If so would that make the jazz fest more desirable and therefore more expensive?

Did the Ludwig snare drums have the same 3 ply shell make up as the other super classic drums?

Did the Jazz Fest & Pioneer only come in 14? x 5??

What would be the general tonal characteristics of the wooden snare?

Any difference in tonal characteristics between the 8 & 6 lugger?

What would be a fair price for a 1966 Ludwig 6 lug, faded silver sparkle wooden snare in very good condition?

I hope this is not too many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lovin this forum, great work all.

Posted on 17 years ago

Am I correct in assuming the Jazz Festival is the 8 lugger and the Pioneer the 6 lugger?

Correct

...would that make the jazz fest more desirable and therefore more expensive?

That is the general consensus at the moment. The 6-lugs were generally condidered "student" model drums.

Did the Ludwig snare drums have the same 3 ply shell make up as the other super classic drums?

Yes

Did the Jazz Fest & Pioneer only come in 14” x 5”?

My 1964 Pioneer is a 5.5"...not sure about the Jazz Fest. I know it was either a 5" or a 5.5", though.

What would be the general tonal characteristics of the wooden snare?

This is a subjective answer, but I would say that wood is a "softer" and "warmer" sound than, say, a Supra. Most vintage Ludwig snare drums sound good in some way.

Any difference in tonal characteristics between the 8 & 6 lugger?

I would guess that there would be VERY little difference in sound between a 6 and an 8 lugger. In fact, I know that some people actually prefer the 6-lugger due to the fact that there is less hardware mounted to the shell and thus probably lends a little bit more "open" and "airy" sound over the 8-lugger. But, the 8-lugger offers a bit more tuning accuracy.

What would be a fair price for a 1966 Ludwig 6 lug, faded silver sparkle wooden snare in very good condition?

Not that much. $150-$250 dollars (U.S.). The more unusual the wrap, the more value. Silver sparkle is pretty common...plus, if it's faded...it's hard to say without seeing detailed pictures.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I've found that 6 lug drums give a wider variety of sounds depending on where you hit them. I think it is because there is more space between the tension points. I like this. I don't necessarily prefer it but I put it to use when I play.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies, a great help. Here's a link to the snare im refering to on ebay. The price is probably already over the top. Nice drum though and a perfect match to the colour of my kit.

Item title: Vintage 1966 Ludwig snare drum with case and stand

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250076745405&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:AU:1[/URL]

Posted on 17 years ago

The posted snare looks like a very nice, unmolested example. It is probably on the high side, price-wise, for the US, but might be about right for Austalia. These are a little more rare out of the US. You might end up doing better on ebay USA even though the shipping will be high...

Herb

Posted on 17 years ago

This snare is actually in the US. I don't like my chances of ever coming across one the same here, they're as rare as hens teeth in this part of the world. You know that feeling when you just have to have that particular drum......

Why is it that nobody want's to ship internationally? What does it matter to the seller where they are posting something when the buyer is paying?

I don't have much experience with ebay but i am enjoying the treasure hunt!

cheers.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi, I'd like to add to what's been said, and I'm not in any disagreement with all other's comments here, as they are all right on.

My very first drumset was a bought brand new 1965 Ludwig set in Pink Champagne Sparkle. Sizes were 5x14 Jazz Festival Snare, 8x12 Tom, 14x14 Fl Tom, 14x20 Bass Drum.

The Jazz Festival Snare is one darn sweet drum! Tough to beat as an all around Drum, and I loved mine. Yes, a bit warmer than a metal drum, but this drum I remember really sings. Sure, some folks perhaps frown upon an 8-Lug Snare, but I never had any sound, or tuning issues with this Drum.

In fact, I've had more tuning problems with snares with more lugs! One example of mine, is a moint prototype 6-1/2x14 12 lug Slingerland Spitfire that was once owned by Barrett Deems. Even with a Drum Dial, this is one difficult Snare to get sounding just right.

As for Silver Sparkle. All with concur, that getting a perfect match with vintage sparkles, or pearls is just about a virtual impossibility. There will be differences. Even with sets that have never been broken apart sometimes show this common mis-matching.

Back in the '60's, the Chrome Snare Drums were really the hot ticket. and it seems everybody wanted one, versus a wood Snare. Probably one reason that wooden Rogers Dynasonics go for such high prices now, as back in the olden days, nobody wanted them, and these were aparently made in fewer numbers. Mark

This Snare is an absolute SOB to tune.

Posted on 17 years ago

Josh, DON'T GIVE UP THE SEARCH! There will be a seller outside Australia, or even better yet, one IN Australia, that will have a Silver Sparkle Ludwig Pioneer or Jazz Festival snare for sale and will be willing to send it to you--at a better price than that one. If I were to sell mine, I'd probably offer it to you, but my Pioneer silver sparkle goes with the Club Date set I have.

One of my first experiences with a 6 lug Pioneer snare was a mahogany finish drum I saw at a second hand store. It was an old one, though, a 50s WFL model. At the time they were selling, usually, for just over $100. I passed on it. I did however notice it sounded incredible. The 50s wood drums have a natural mahogany interior and the bearing edges are sharper, and the shells are more accurate, usually, than the 60s wood Ludwig shells. This drum sounded great, had great articulation and it was a 6 lug snare. I didn't realize this was possible.

I've since run across quite a few Luddy snares, both Jazz Festival and Pioneer. I don't find anything wrong with a nicely tuned Pioneer, in fact they are nice, articulate snares that make great Jazz snare drums. At the time I wrongly assumed that the great sound of that snare drum was the wood and the 50s build quality. I have since changed my mind. It goes to show you don't have to have a perfect shell (the 60s Ludwig shells all have some shape anomallies from the wrap being placed in the seam).

The Jazz Festival is the Ringo snare(albeit with the Black Oyster color irrelevant to the sound, though). His sound is great. 8 lugs. A bit more boxy sounding, I think. But still very full and awesome. Not as sharp as a supra. Ideally you'd want both in your snare array.

My only wood Ludwig snare, the abovementioned Pioneer, is a mid 60s model, and it has a 2ply coated remo top head and it sounds great. They are fine drums. Values have been creeping up over the past few years indicating others agree.

But there are numerous sellers who definitely would ship to Australia. But you'll have to pay shipping. Now, a bass drum might be another matter.. I think size limits are fairly strict shipping from US to Down Under.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here