Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig 60's finish question

Hi all,

I just bought this Ludwig (Pioneer?) 6 lug wood shell:

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/?action=view¤t=pioneer.jpg

It came in a vinyl bag and looks to be completely original - even the heads. To my surprise, the finish looked like paint. I have now pulled it apart and it was like an archeology dig - I numbered each tension rod because I don't think this drum has had the heads off - ever.

The wrap is very thin and looks like it is stretched on. All you Ludwig fans out there know all this; but I have never seen wrap quite like it. The date stamp is Oct 23 1965.

I'd like some opinions if you can spare a minute please: My kit is Sky Blue Pearl but I bought this snare at a great price whilst looking for a SBP. I thought I might wrap it with a tape bonding wrap but my guess is that removing hi-bond tape would wreck the finish. I am always reluctant to mess with an original drum.

Would you wrap it - or leave it?

Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hi all,I just bought this Ludwig (Pioneer?) 6 lug wood shell:http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/?action=view¤t=pioneer.jpgIt came in a vinyl bag and looks to be completely original - even the heads. To my surprise, the finish looked like paint. I have now pulled it apart and it was like an archeology dig - I numbered each tension rod because I don't think this drum has had the heads off - ever.The wrap is very thin and looks like it is stretched on. All you Ludwig fans out there know all this; but I have never seen wrap quite like it. The date stamp is Oct 23 1965. I'd like some opinions if you can spare a minute please: My kit is Sky Blue Pearl but I bought this snare at a great price whilst looking for a SBP. I thought I might wrap it with a tape bonding wrap but my guess is that removing hi-bond tape would wreck the finish. I am always reluctant to mess with an original drum.Would you wrap it - or leave it?Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Rewrapping an innocent and healthy looking ?65 Ludwig snare just fore cosmetic reasons, is not fair.

:-) Carsten M

Posted on 16 years ago

It's soo nice. Like a time machine. New heads/snares - that's it.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here