Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig 60's Black Tom?

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Ludwig 12" tom, serial # 81758. It has two mufflers top and bottom (round knobs), white interior (no stamp). My question is, did they make them in black, because this tom is painted black. It looks original. I can't see where the wrap was removed or the badge tampered with?

Thanks,

Posted on 14 years ago

You could get them lacquered in about any color way back when. I had a black lacquered Pioneer.

Posted on 14 years ago

Round mufflers top and bottom sound like a Gretsch....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From LudwigDrummer

The serial number is from 1964.The drum is painted on the outside you say?Wow, I didn't know they painted the outsideof drums back then .... hmm ??The mufflers have me puzzled (read on): First, about wrap colors: In 1964 Ludwig had wrap colors in black:oyster black pearl, black diamond pearl,and a third color. I can't remember the nameof the third color. (I think it was called galaxy ??) It was kinda like a sparkle color. It reminded me of the other sparkle colors (example: blue sparkle, green sparkle, etc.)except this one was black. Anyway, they never offered a solid black colorin 1964 as a wrap finish, but, you say theoutside of this shell is painted.... hmm ?? Here is a link to check colors out:link: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_finishes.html I might be able to help you more if yousend me (email) a few close up detailed photos... NOTE: Ludwig did not make drum mufflers with round knobs in 1964.They were baseball bat type mufflers (until 1968). My guess is that someone must have added those type of Ludwig mufflers at a later time. I don't remember Ludwig putting mufflers on topAND bottom of the same drum for use with a drum kit,however, what troubles me most is the round type muffler knobs. I'm puzzled about that !! .... Scott McLean.

Ia'm thinking maybe someone painted it black over the finish and just taped over the badge?? i have seen this alot of times...As far a the double mufflers i have seen ludwig drums from the late 60s to the 1970s with mufflers on top and bottom heads over the years either someone added the mufflers to these drums or maybe Ludwig would do this if you wanted it??..But all the mufflers i have seen[double] have been round knobs Never a Ball bat ones..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

I've seen some dual round knob mufflers too.

Posted on 14 years ago

the dual mufflers were optional and seen from time to time. they were certainly using baseball bat mufflers by then though. someone could have changed them or some old stock could have been used. most of the dual mufflers ive seen have also been early 60's shells wiht round knob mufflers.

i do know of a ludwig pioneer snare from that same period that supposedly has a factory black wrap on it as well.

mike

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here