Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Ludwig 60's, 70's, 80's...?

Hey everybody,

I'm brand spankin' new to the forum. I've really enjoyed the insights and banter here over the last few days... I thought I'd signup & give it a go myself.

I do have a couple of questions about Ludwig shell construction thoughout the years. I'm wondering the difference in sound between the early 60's mostly mahogany shells, and the early 70's mostly maple shells...?

Also wondering how one could expect a Ludwig kit with maple shells from the 80's to sound.

Can anyone help me with these wonderings? I really appreciate it!

Ryan

Posted on 15 years ago

Ryan there was an interesting thread a while back that was titled "Are vintage drums all they can be?"... or something close to that.

The discussion went on for a week or so and covered like 4 pages with posts from many of the most knowledgeable people on this forum... although I wish a couple more "big names" would have jumped in... There are a lot of people on this forum.. working drummers with a ton of experience around a lot of equipment.. I always really enjoy reading their posts.

It was a very popular thread in Vintage Drums... I think if you sort the threads by number of reads or responses it should be near the top of list... give that a read and see what you think.

Hint... it's a good question.. that is directly answered by a lot of people in completely different ways..DOH

Welcome!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I saw the same post on another forum, so I would wait to see what they offer in the area of advice for you there.

We have talked about this here before, but I think there are far too many factors involved.

If you take the same shell and change the bearing edge and heads you get a different sound.

Also, with reinforcement rings or not is a big difference from 60's to 80's.

Can you get a classic 60's sound of an 80's shell? Nope and that is why so many drummers cut bearing edges and modify drums to get the sound they wanted. The 80's had a different sound and to get the 60's drums to have that sound they needed to be changed, so cut a different bearing edge profile...

I would decide on the era you like and approach it that way.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I'll sum it up like this:

The Good = 60's

The Bad = 80's

The Ugly = 70's

DOH

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here