Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

ludwig 6 ply just bought

Hello folks, just bought my first authentic vintage kit and am in need of a bit of advice. It's a ludwig 6-ply, no badges because it's been recovered, but it's in great shape and all the hardware is original, 13 is a bit funky with a tad bit of ply separation at the outer seam, but other than that it's great. My question is about tuning, these drums are quite a bit brighter and higher in pitch than I'm used to ( play only sonor drums) I understand that the thick shells can cause that although my nine ply phonics aren't quite as bright as these. What kind of heads do most of you who own six plys use? In addition has anybody ever had the bearing edges recut to get a better sound? I got the kit really cheap (260 with snare) so I'm not too worried about value, mainly sound and having a wrapped kit that I can take around to grungy gigs. BTW its the standard confic (8x12, 9x13 etc.) with the rounded bearing edges.

Thanks!

PC

Posted on 16 years ago

No offense meant, but how do you know it's a Ludwig without any badges? I don't believe that Ludwig had rounded bearing edges, but I may be wrong. The Ludwig drums I have are white interior with rerings and a 45 inside edge and about a 20-30 degree outside.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

No offense taken! They're definitely Ludwigs, all the hardare on the drums is original, the late 70's is when they started making the 6 plys, I guess the bearing edges are 45 inner woth a 30 outer, they look rounded to me compared to the more modern sharp 45 degree angles that I'm used to. Anyways, just looking for some insight on tuning etc., head choices.

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

Those 6 ply shells make great drums. Everyone is obsessed with the 3 ply drums (myself included), but the 6 ply ones are excellent too.

These were made at the height of the thick, 2 ply head era...late 70's and early 80's. To me, the 6 ply shells sound at their best with that type of head...Remo Pinstripes or the smooth dot heads that they originally came with.

What kind of music will you be playing with them?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Aquarian Superkick II on the bass drum batter side, a white enclosed (or small port if you like that) Aquarian regulator on the reso side. Performance II on all tom batter sides (or Response II coated) and Classic Clear on the bottoms (or a plain ole Texture coat if ya like the vintage look) .... I guess that would about do it if the drums like and respond better to 2 ply heads. :) Good Luck.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here