Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig 5/16" threaded wing nuts for tom/floor tom brackets

Greetings,

Looking for a handful of these. They fit the 5/16" threaded eyebolt on the Ludwig classic brackets found on rack toms, floor tom legs and shell mounted cymbal holders.

Thanks,

V

Posted on 6 years ago

I have picked up stainless steel ones at hardware stores, not correct, but they do look like chrome.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, burgundy.

I've tried hardware store replacements, but the "wings" are just too small. It's impossible to get any torque on them at all because you can barely grip them.

Posted on 6 years ago

i have the small ones from a hardware store. the advantage to them is that you can' overtighten them and strip the bolts. if i tighten them about as tight as i can they stay there.

dave

Posted on 6 years ago

Yeah, I definitely don't over-tighten them (they are for floor tom legs), but even as tight as I can get the hardware store replacements, I'm still experiencing a little slippage/movement. I use hose clamps on my floor tom legs as "memory locks", so they don't slip, but they are still a bit loose.

I have plenty of the Ludwig 5/16" threaded nuts (that you use the old school spark plug type wrench for), but I don't want to carry around a wrench just for floor tom legs!

By the way, if you don't know already, a normal 5/16" nut takes a 1/2" wrench, whereas the Ludwig 5/16" nut takes a 7/16" wrench. Why? Because all the Ludwig nut is a 5/16" coupling nut cut in half. Because it is skinnier in nature, that's why it takes the smaller wrench size. Don't be fooled by ebay sellers charging $5 a piece for a "Special Ludwig Nut". You can get a coupling nut, cut it half, and have two for about 65 cents at your local hardware store.

Posted on 6 years ago

Does anyone have some?

If not, I am considering re-threading the 5/16" thread to 8 mm (they are almost identical). That way I can use cymbal stand wingnuts, which I have a plethora of.

5/16" is .3125 inches and 8 mm is .314961 inches.

I 'd rather just get some from you fine folks here and not have to re-thread. That will be a pain. I don't want to take off the bottom head from multiple drums, take off each bracket, and tediously re-thread multiple brackets. Please don't make me!! :eek:

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here