Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Ludwig 3"x13" jazz combo Black & Gold two tone finish

I'm trying to find out if I'll be able to and how to go about removing a glitter- paint from the shell, without damage to the original finish? Some of it appears to a glitter glue type stuff. Someone suggested using finger nail polish remover. Thanks dnb P.S. Does any one know the value of this drum now and when restored? One more thing; If I get this crap off what is the best way to bring back the beauty of this shell's finish, and maintain it ? Thanks for all your help Donny B

Posted on 14 years ago

Man that has Duco finish under there, so I don't know if I would put acetone on it. Getting that off may prove tricky. Is it a glue, or something like poly with the glitter added? I would try maybe a damp cloth laid on it for few minutes, on a small area, and see if it might just be glue.

Take it completely apart and try the damp cloth. You cannot let it set too long because that is from the 50s most likely and the wood is dry. You don't want the wood absorbing too much moisture like this. When I say damp, it has to be not wet, but enough to let the glue work loose. If it is a glitter/glue, it will be along the line of Elmer's, and should come off with some work, and not kill the original finish.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That drum is a really GREAT find ! I agree with J'Stix....a chemical solution may well start lifting the original duco.

You can try Goo-Gone...it's not an alcohol base, nor is it very caustic...it's an oil-base. But honestly, I dunno what that sparkle stuff is so it may not work. But it won't mess up the duco.

Other alternative to the ones already mentioned would be some fine-sanding...I am talking like 260 gr. or finer......or maybe steel wool (.000 grade, no coarser).

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Ahh so you're the one who got it...I was watching that one. Cool score.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

I'm sure it's glued on so you may try heating it a bit with a hair dryer. You may need to get a dental pick and start picking the glitter off.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Word of advice with the Jazz/Combo and Downbeats. The lugs are very sensitive to torque. If you can, make sure you torque evenly as possible. I have a Ludalloy 3 x 13. When I got it, half the lugs were almost broken, they were unusable. I found some others, but not without a very heavy asking price, as they don't make the lugs anymore. I have been talking to a friend of mine to see if he can machine a lug similar, he says he can, but the first one to do setup wise, is quite a heavy chunk of change. IMHO, if the finish is that bad, and you don't have a duco set, rebuild and wrap/paint to your specs.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Word of advice with the Jazz/Combo and Downbeats. The lugs are very sensitive to torque. If you can, make sure you torque evenly as possible. I have a Ludalloy 3 x 13. When I got it, half the lugs were almost broken, they were unusable. I found some others, but not without a very heavy asking price, as they don't make the lugs anymore. I have been talking to a friend of mine to see if he can machine a lug similar, he says he can, but the first one to do setup wise, is quite a heavy chunk of change. IMHO, if the finish is that bad, and you don't have a duco set, rebuild and wrap/paint to your specs.

Thank You All, Still not having to much luck Donny B.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here