Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Ludwig 24" bass

Just got back fom a session with some friends. At the studio was a Ludwig 24x14 butcherblock bass. What a killer drum!!! The guy who owned it said it was 73 or 74 but it had the Ludwig modular tom mount and it was a 5 ply? Is he right? I thought that hardware came out in 79 or 80, along with the 5 ply shells. Gotta get me one of those!

Posted on 15 years ago

The shell might be early 70's, but the modular parts are not.

Posted on 15 years ago

Shell is more likely 6-ply also....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 15 years ago

I don't believe it would have been 6 ply under those dates. They didn't shift the molds until later in the 70's. My guess is he is wrong about the date of the drum. That would be the most logical explanation.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

I don't believe it would have been 6 ply under those dates. They didn't shift the molds until later in the 70's. My guess is he is wrong about the date of the drum. That would be the most logical explanation.

True, but Ludwig was making 3-ply shells until they switched to the 6-ply around '75 or '76. They did make 4 ply in the 6" & 8" power sizes at first to go with the 6-plies, then later switched to 6-ply for them as well.

He is most likely wrong about the date of the drum....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 15 years ago

I think you guy's are right. I also don't think the hardware was an add on. So, anyone have any experience with a 3 ply and 6 ply comparrison? After playing that drum I am craving a 24" kick. Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

If the B/O badge has very pointy-edges and the shell has no re-rings, it is probably a mid-late 70s drum. If the badge has the rounded edges (B/O) then it is probably from '78 to '82 or thereabouts, and modular hardware was available. I wouldn't be surprised if the drum was the latter of the 2.

I have played 24" Ludwig 6 ply basses and they sound great. Often they're 16" deep though. Another indicator is the spurs. The thicker arc spurs came later roughly when the 6ply shells came in. I currently have a 24"x14" 3 ply maple interior with re-rings Ludwig (probably around '72 or '73) bass drum. It sounds great too. I'm partial to the earlier 70s ones but the later 6ply shells sound great and they're sometimes available for less coin.

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, forgot about that thread. The drum I played last night had a super kick II on it with some foam thrown in, fantastic low end, everyone was blown away by it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey LuddyDude, I don't carry regrets, but I am "watching" for a nice 6 ply kit sans modular. I really like that sound, but hate (not a strong enough word) that modular stuff. I couldn't get past it. It caused more headaches than it was worth. Just ask TommyP. What a nightmare that was.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here