Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig 1940 WFL Twin Sensetive Snare

So, I just inherited a 1939 Ludwig WFL Twin Sensitive Snare drum with all original hardware minus the heads and am fishing for what might be a good head replacement for the batter and resonant heads. Also, the snares need a little work ..... any ideas what might be a good setup for the snare wires? I was looking at Puresound vintage snare wires but, the Twin Sensitive snare series had such an odd snare wire setup with catgut and wire-wound silk. In terms of heads, I experiment alot with electronic music and like detuning my heads to produce an almost sampled dry sound with no ring but a thick head on this snare makes it sound really boxy. So far I have settled on the Remo PS3 since it still lets out a little ring and tone. Don't want to kill it fully. :-) I also know a thicker, medium resonant head is preferred for this snare as well .... but again, not sure on the options out there. Any ideas at all are much appreciated!!

Tigh

Posted on 15 years ago

What a beauty, Tigh !

I never cared for those old Zephyr lug casings, but the twin strainer has always captivated my imagination.

Myself, I'd go with standard white coated ambassador batter and ambassador snareside - only because I've always used those heads on all my snare drums, and have never been disappointed.

This old girl was born with calfskin batter and slunk snareside, which are costly nowadays. But there are so many to choose from today, I wouldn't know where else to begin...

Congrats on this find, brother !

Posted on 15 years ago

You could try Aquarian's American Vintage series for a modern equivelent to calfskin, or Remo's Renassaince series.....or those new natural goat skin heads already mounted to hoops....I forget the name of the company, someone care to help me out on this one? Then of course there's traditional calfskin......I suppose it depends on what kind of sound you are looking to get out of it. If you want it to sound the way it was when it was new, then the only choice would be calf.

Posted on 15 years ago

The goatskin company is called Earthtone....... have a good one!!!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here