Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig 1123 (Spur-lok) spring action not working

Hi all,

I recently picked up two (what I'm pretty sure are) Ludwig 1123-1 hi-hat stands (Spur-lok plates, tripod, no tension adjustment). But I'm having problems with the spring action.

Both of them (one especially) needed a deep cleaning. Even after the cleaning, I'm getting the same problems. When I put on the top hat, it sinks. The spring action is also either very choppy or non-existent. Any tips?

Last week, I detached and removed everything. I soaked and cleaned the springs to where they looked great. I sprayed the springs and the lower tubes of each stand with all-purpose lubricant, replaced the washers, and reassembled. I tried both of them out soon after and they had nice, smooth spring action for the brief time I tested.

But I played them a few days later and they still don't work right with same issues as before.

Do I need to spray more lubricant? Manually stretch the springs?

Thanks!

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Drum Transit!

I've had this same issue with both Ludwig 1123-1 and Slingerland 804 hi hat stands, both of which offer no spring tension adjustment.

First, what size and weight cymbals are you using?

What I've done, and it works for me, is to "pre-load" the spring by the use of washers or a bushing that goes inside the tube and compresses the spring. Since you've already taken your stand apart, you've probably notice a washer on the rod that extends out of the stand and screws into the foot board linkage. That washer is usually kept in place by a ridge on the lower rod. It's this washer that keeps the spring in the tube and provides a pre-selected amount of tension. Remove the rod and insert a number of washers or a bushing between the spring and the stop washer. As you insert the rod back into the stand, the extra washers, or bushing, will compress the spring, giving more tension to keep the top cymbal from sinking down. You have to experiment with the number of washers, or length of bushing, to find the tension you want. I've been doing this for years and get great feel out of the Ludwig and Slingerland hi hat stands!

The only issue is to be sure you get the right diameter washers or bushing that fit down into the tube and don't cause binding.

Let me know if this works for you!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

I have had same problem, over the years the spring looses it tension & length, by adding washers you can gain some of the tension back, but you loose some of the travel, I have stretched the spring and it seems to help, but with age like every thing else once its gone, its gone.

Posted on 5 years ago

Good tips here.

This is my all time favorite hi-hat stand. I have refurbished many of them. The correct model number is 1123-1, but the way. Here's a couple more things you can try:

1. Make sure the tripod base tube is clean as well. The inside of that tube can get all gunked up. Remove the lower pull rod so the tube is empty. Put two layers of painter's tape on the bottom hole where the lower pull rod comes out and screws into the top of the foot board.

1A. DO THIS OUTSIDE--Pour paint thinner or mineral spirits into the tube at the top of the tripod base (sometimes a funnel helps). It will slowly leak out the bottom where the painter's tape is, but the tape will hold it enough that you can clean it out very well. Then run a bottle brush up and down inside the tube several times, then pour out the paint thinner from the top of the tripod base section (you'll be amazed at how dirty it is). I recommend doing this over bare dirt or weeds, because the paint thinner will kill grass, plants or anything that it comes into contact with. Repeat this step several times until the paint thinner comes out of the tube clear. Then remove the painter's tape at the bottom hole and run the bottle brush upwards into the small hole a few times. Then pour some more paint thinner down the tube and let it run out the bottom just to flush it out. Then leave it outside to dry for an hour or so.

1B. Re-assemble like normal. Make sure you are using a good quality spray lubricant on the spring itself before you put it back in. Tri-Flow always works well for me. I typically put the spring onto the lower pull rod (with all washers in place), then spray the spring liberally. Hold the base horizontally and insert it into the base horizontally (so the washers and spring don't fall in ahead of the rod). Then screw the lower pull rod into the foot board and re-assemble like you are ready to play it and work that spring like crazy! Don't forget to the lubricate the the hinge on the heel plate as well. If that doesn't solve it..........

2. Most good hardware stores have a decent selection of springs. Take the spring with you and try to find one that is a similar diameter and length to the original. It's also a good idea to take the lower pull rod with you so you can find appropriate sized washer(s) that will fit on to the rod, but not go past the small flared "wings" that stop the washer/spring from moving any further up.

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I'm gonna try to pick up more washers this weekend and play around with the stands this weekend. I guess I really need to be generous with the lubricant!

Posted on 5 years ago

Another thing to try:

Most hardware stores have nylon spacers. These are essentially very thick nylon/plastic washers of varying thickness. Sometimes it's better to go with a nylon spacer rather than 6 or 7 washers. Also, no metal to metal contact, either.

Posted on 5 years ago

I added a stiffer spring I got at the hardware store to mine and it works flawlessly now !

Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Posted on 5 years ago

So, just to follow up on this, I disassembled, spayed the spring a lot more, and reassembled. Now both pedals work great. Though should probably get more washers, just in case...

Thanks again!

Posted on 5 years ago

From Drum Transit

So, just to follow up on this, I disassembled, spayed the spring a lot more, and reassembled. Now both pedals work great. Though should probably get more washers, just in case...Thanks again!

Glad it worked out for you! I've rebuilt quite a few Ludwig, Rogers and Slingerland hi hat stands over the years. When complete, they've all functioned like-new!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here