Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Ludwig 1123-1 hi-hat stand sluggish

Picked up a Ludwig 1123 last week. I was looking for just a speed king pedal but ended up with a pedal and this hi-hat.

The 1123-1 has been well loved judging the wear on the foot board. It needs polished up, rubber tips for the legs, and the threads for the legs are stripped but the first thing it needs is a lubing as the action is sluggish. Can it be taken apart and cleaned and lubed or is it just a drop some oil down the tube and on the bottom rod kind of deal? Any particular lube to use? It looks kind of like grease on the bottom but that could just be oil and 40 plus years of grime.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

There`s and oil hole but yes it can be broken down.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

From OddBall

There`s and oil hole but yes it can be broken down.

Thanks OddBall. Can you point me to where the oil hole is located please?

I tried to post a couple pictures of the stand but I'm getting a security token missing message.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

If you haven't figured already, you can unscrew the rods, top and bottom section. Pulling out the bottom will reveal the spring, you can slide it off and clean and relube. I used lithium grease on mine. I also stretched the spring a bit to make it more responsive.

Posted on 7 years ago

Here is a diagram that may help. I have seen some threads either here or at DFO that completely describe maintenance of these hi-hats.

1 attachments
My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 7 years ago

I'll chime in with my method,

With the top tube and upper pull rod removed, unscrew the lower pull rod with a socket wrench and after a few turns the pedal should drop.

You may find that the coupling nut that attaches the lower and upper pull rods together comes off of the threads as you unscrew it, leaving the lower pull rod intact with just bare threading on top. This has happened to me multiple times. It's an easy fix, though. Just coat the threads on the top of the lower pull rod with JB Weld, than screw the coupling nut back on all the way. Leave it be for 24 hours. Then you can proceed with unscrewing the coupling nut, which will dislodge the pedal.

Hold the stand upside down and pull out the lower pull rod (so the spring comes with it. If you leave it upright, the spring has a tendency to stay inside the tripod tube). Take off the spring, wash it in soap and water and then let it soak overnight in paint thinner or mineral spirits in a small bottle, like a Snapple bottle or Salad Dressing Container. CAUTION: Paint Thinner stinks, so do this outside if you can. There should also be a small, asterisk shaped washer that slides onto the lower part of the lower pull rod, but stops at the small "wings" built into the rod that also stop the spring. Make sure the washer is in good condition and let that soak overnight too. If the washer is damaged or missing, you can find a replacement at your local hardware store. Just be sure to take the lower pull rod with you so you can verify that the new washer fits on the rod but is small enough to stopped by the "wings".

It's also a good idea to clean out the lower tube (the tripod). The gunk build up in there is pretty gnarly. Here's how I do it. I recommend doing this OUTSIDE in fresh air!

Put some painters tape or duct tape over the hole at the bottom of the tripod (where the lower pull rod comes out and attaches to the pedal). Take a funnel and pour paint thinner into the lower tube until it's full. Then take a bottle brush (narrow, long brush) and scrub the inside thoroughly. You will have a little liquid leaking out the bottom, that's ok. Turn the tripod upside down to pour the (now disgustingly dirty) paint thinner out. Repeat this process several times, until the paint thinner is clear after scrubbing/soaking. You'll be absolutely amazed at how dirty the inside of that tripod base was!

ANOTHER WORD OF CAUTION: Do this over pavement, dirt or weeds/plants that you don't care about. The paint thinner WILL kill any grass or plants it comes into contact with, just like gasoline. Also, like gasoline, it can leave a residue on pavement, so be conscious of that. Then, remove the tape covering the bottom hole and put the bottle brush up there and scrub a few times. Finally, pour some more paint thinner down the tube, just to let it all flush out thoroughly. Let the tube sit for awhile so that everything evaporates (again, OUTSIDE if you can). While the spring is soaking and the tripod is drying out, you can clean /polish everything else.

To clean the lower pull rod, use soap and water and then lighter fluid or a little paint thinner to get all the gunk and residue off. The next day when the spring has soaked itself clean, wash the spring with soap and water and get your washer and spring in proper position on the pull rod (AGAIN: Dump the used paint thinner OUTSIDE on dirt or weeds). It's time to lubricate and reassemble! An optional step before reassembly is to use a small rubber grommet that goes in between the top "yoke" on the pedal (with the threads that the lower pull rod screws into) and the hole that you had previously covered with painters tape while cleaning. This is optional, but it creates a soft impact and no noise when you take your foot off the pedal. Some people use small cymbal felts. That's ok too, but I prefer the rubber grommets. Way more durable and way thinner than a cymbal felt, so the angle of the pedal isn't affected by having something too thick, preventing the pedal from "going up" all the way. You can get one for about 30 cents at the hardware store.

Use whatever lubrication you like (I prefer Tri-Flow with Teflon). On a piece of cardboard or something disposable, assemble the washer and spring to their proper position, then lay the lower pull rod down and spray it thoroughly with your lubrication of choice. Insert the lower pull rod horizontally into the tripod base by holding the tripod base horizontally, so that you can put the lower pull rod into the tripod base without the spring slipping off. Then, screw the lower pull rod into the pedal (tight, with your socket wrench to prevent it from unscrewing there when trying to unscrew the upper pull rod!), insert the upper tube and upper pull rod and work that lubrication in! You'll have to keep wiping off the excess as it drips down near the threaded "yoke" where the optional rubber grommet is, but that means it's working. Don't forget to put some lubrication on either side of the heel plate too.

Good luck and your hi-hat should have much more "spring in its step" after this. That is my all-time favorite hi-hat stand. I've got about 15 of them and I love them! (EDIT: I just counted and I "only" have 13!")

Posted on 7 years ago

One other thing:

The narrow metal pedal support rod that goes into the bottom of the tripod base is "locked in" by the means of a tiny ball bearing, kept in place by a small cover. The covers are notoriously missing, and if it's missing, I guarantee your ball bearing is missing too.

When you've got the tripod base cleaned out and "empty" (no lower pull rod in there), turn the tripod base upside down and you should see a small, tongue depressor shaped sheet metal piece with a screw at one end. (See attached photo). Take off the screw and the sheet metal "tongue depressor" (for lack of a better word) and see if there is a small, chrome ball bearing in there. Even if it is present, a lot of times that needs to be cleaned out too. If the ball bearing is missing (or the cover for that matter), then you'll need to replace it. Without it, you'll never get the support rod under the pedal to "lock" in place.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you for the help gentlemen! And thank you vyacheslav for the most detailed post I have seen! Awesome!

Posted on 7 years ago

From Tinman

Here is a diagram that may help. I have seen some threads either here or at DFO that completely describe maintenance of these hi-hats.

Thanks Tinman! I was looking for that diagram.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here