Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig 1123-1 Hi Hat Question

I just acquired an 1123-1 hi hat. It has no means of holding the washer, felt pad and lower cymbal in place. I know there’s supposed to be a nylon sleeve there, but can’t quite figure out how it was attached.

Can someone please post a clear, close-up photo of there’s, and maybe provide a quick description of it so I can find/make a replacement?

That would be swell!

Thanks.

Josh

Posted on 5 years ago

Okay y’all, I answered my own question:

I vaguely remember the collar that my old back-in-the-day hi hat had. I went to the hardware store and bought a nylon bushing which had a diameter that allowed the upper rod to smoothly slide through it (first image, in foreground). I then mounted it on my lathe and turned it down smaller. One end I left large enough for the bottom washer and pad to slide on, but not past the stop I left on the end. The lower half I made much smaller to fit inside the hi hat top tube. To make it fit, the walls ended up being only a little thicker than printer paper. I then tapped it in place with the washer and pad installed.

It works great. I hope it lasts...

Posted on 5 years ago

Glad you figured it out! I had just taken pictures of my 1123-1 to show what it looked like. For some odd reason, all the pictures were out of focus! I also have a spare Ludwig nylon bushing that I got on eBay many years ago. Just for your own info, the overall length is 1-3/8", 3/8" diameter with a wall thickness of 1/16". That leaves a 1/4" hole in the center!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Where does the cymbal sit ? Top of the sleeve or on the felt ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

From OddBall

Where does the cymbal sit ? Top of the sleeve or on the felt ?

The cymbal sits on the felt. The ridge on the nylon sleeve helps to keep the felt and metal washer from falling off when you take the stand apart for storage or transporting. The original felt has a small enough hole so it's a friction fit over the sleeve. The holes in the cymbals are plenty large to easily fit over the ridge of the nylon sleeve. You could make a replacement sleeve without the ridge if you wanted to. Just need to insure that you don't lose the felt and washer!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Mark,

Does my reproduction look like the one you have?

Josh

Posted on 5 years ago

From idrum4fun

The cymbal sits on the felt. The ridge on the nylon sleeve helps to keep the felt and metal washer from falling off when you take the stand apart for storage or transporting. The original felt has a small enough hole so it's a friction fit over the sleeve. The holes in the cymbals are plenty large to easily fit over the ridge of the nylon sleeve. You could make a replacement sleeve without the ridge if you wanted to. Just need to insure that you don't lose the felt and washer!-Mark

I have a old HH and the push rod is the same size as older cymbals. in this case mine would land on that sleeve. I have a newer cymbal and it is larger than the rod, so when I use the tilt screw, it does not do what it's supposed to, It goes all the way in to make up the space and only tilts a tiny bit. Plus it backs off after a while too. If I want to use a new bottom cymbal, I sleeve it with a pen that I cut up and it works great. If I use two new cymbals, no matter how I tighten them they move around and never come down even, always off set and that makes problems keeping the tilt I like, so I sleeve both in that case keeping the hole through the same size as the rod.

Posted on 5 years ago

From jmcohen

Mark,Does my reproduction look like the one you have? Josh

I think you did a fine job turning that down even if it's not exact.

Posted on 5 years ago

From jmcohen

Mark,Does my reproduction look like the one you have? Josh

Hi Josh!

As Oddball said, you did a great job with your sleeve! I'll take some pictures of my spare sleeve later today, and provide dimensions. When I posted those dimensions in a previous post, it didn't take into account the larger section.

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

I found this pic helpful

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here