Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Luddy standard wrap buffing?

Hi folks. Picked up this little gem of a 4-pc yesterday. Both toms and BD shell stamped Feb 13, 1969. Pretty good shape overall, but issues are:

*13" tom mount has been replaced with Pearl through-the-shell style, which means someone drilled a big hole (Grrrrr.....it's OK...breathe...)

*Original bass drum spurs replaced with modern ones. I'm actually ok with that. They did a decent job.

*All internal mufflers are missing. No biggie there, either. I wouldn't use 'em anyway.

*BD hoops have been replaced. This is going to be a working kit, so that's ok I guess. They look decent.

*Ride cymbal rod and mount are both MIA.

*Tom holder bracket/mount on BD has been replaced. New holes drilled for that, too....:(

That's about it for the big stuff. I'll probably go back to original parts as I go along, but no rush. Normal minor rust on rims and lug casings that I plan to address using the good ol' aluminum foil scrub.

My question for you all is in regards to the wrap. Looks to be Gold Strata. Pretty minor wear & tear 'personality', along with a little fading that is to be expected. Seams are nice and tight. What, in your experiences, is the best way to take off just the slightest outer layer of 'age' while maintaining a glossy finish? I've taken them down to the bare bones and there is VERY LITTLE difference in the wrap that has been exposed vs. the wrap underneath the casings, etc. What a great find! I think they have spent 30+ years in someone's closet.

I'll post some 'after' pics when I'm done.....

Thanks, y'all!

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I wold recommend Novus 2 if there is some scratches followed by Novus 1 then 2 coats of caranuba wax. Should make it shine nicely. I have a kit in Red Ruby and love them. Hope you enjoy them even with the mods. Great find !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

If it's a gigging kit you will appreciate the mount change. These don't command the prices of its keystone badged brothers, but are equal in quality (and have groovy finishes).

I'd take them to the buffing wheel and then wax them. I have a large fixed buffer from my guitar making days. I also have various hard bars of compound. I load the wheel and go. Note: tape off the badges to avoid scratching/fading the ink. I usually give them an alcohol wash and then tape them off.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Great advice already above. I've had great results with Novus products on my Standard kit, still working on it.

Cool kit!

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you for the replies. Looks like Amazon has the Novus products...headed there now.

Thanks again!

Posted on 7 years ago

Novus # 2 does work great. I also recommend "Plastix" by Meguiar's (car care products), which is very similar to Novus #2. You can find it at any auto parts store, so it is more widely available than Novus. I also find it easier to work with and it's less expensive as well. It does just as good a job as Novus, and that's from my discerning pallette and opinion LOL!

Novus #1 is a must, though. After Novus #2 or Plastix, it really gets the shells to shine, and gets rid of any leftover residue from the Novus #2/Plastix.

Either way, good luck with them

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here