Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Luddy Clubdate rehab...sorta

[COLOR="Sienna"]Have had these 2 Clubdate shells lying around forever, bass and FT.

A drummer friend got me a job supplying a set to a Blues Club here in town. He plays tehre a fair amount of time and he kept noticing different "house sets" at the club (although he brings plays his Rogers kit which I had renovated for him).

Turns out the manager always RENTS kits whenever an act needs one. My friend was like "are you kidding ? I know a guy who can set you up with a nice vintage house kit for the cost of a couple nights rental".

So anyways, here it is. The "sorta" comes in because somewhere down the line there was a bit of a...um "misunderstanding" about the final price. The manager understood it to be $50 less than what I had understood the deal to be (this is what happens when you go thru a middleman).

So, I basically decided to just go with a Classic style rack tom, instead of the Club date style double-loaded lugs. The snare is an old Rogers Spotlight shell...but again, sans the extra $50 I just outfitted it with generic lugs... and kept the badge for myself.

Also went generic spurs and tom mounts...I doubt that the club would have wanted the original consolette rail mount on the kit anyway...

Regardless, it came out pretty slick lookin'. It's a rewrap in a custom WMP color from drummaker.com. Hard to tell in pic, but it's actually a sort of greyed out, "smoky" WMP. Also, all lugs and hoops are vintage Ludwig Nickel...which looks hella cool because it's got a muted grey/green tinge to it.

The bass hoops are new 10-ply maples. Instead of doing the usual 2 coats of oil-based semigloss paint, however...I decided to experiment and went with a dark mahogany stain, applied with a cloth (2 coats) and then finished it off with tung oil. Sorta nice, looks kinda "distressed" and not so spankin' new.

Anyway....sounds good, like an old Club Date should....and....that's about all....

[/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks great!

I'm working on a Club Date rehab project myself... any hints on where I can find reasonably priced nickel hoops and tension rods?

(No worries if you can't divulge your sources... we all have our secrets!) :)

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

Don't know about sorta.......Kit looks pretty cool to me!

A couple of Clubdate shells hanging around and finish up with a great looking little kit like that. Well done J. flower

"It's Charlie Watts' band
Without him we wouldn't have a group"

Keith Richards
Posted on 15 years ago

Now that's pretty cool. Nice job. You know those drummers are gonna love playing that club.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks for the compliments.

Had to forgo the bass t-rods because I pulled out my stash of previously acquired Club Date bass rods and was putting the batter head on when, lo and behold....some rods wouldn't screw into the lugs. Upon closer inspection...10 of 'em were actually very good Japanese copies....but they had old Japanese threading electricit. I had bought these in 2 batches from 2 different eBay sellers, literally over a year ago....and there ya' go....one guy basically pulled one over on me (or maybe he thought they were originals, too). So had to go with just standard chrome rods.

Section2...no, sorry, no leads (although I would certainly divulge any to a Forum brother [COLOR="Silver"]- a few individuals notwithstanding, ahem -[/COLOR] if I had). I just eFlayed some of 'em and then a member here sold me a hoop to finish it off.

I do have 6 nickel rods for the FT if you'd like 'em...2 of 'em are slightly bent but can be easily straightened. PM me if you need 'em.

Other than that...post a "wanted" listing here, and scour eBay, I suppose. It may be you can find an entire/complete orphan tom for cheaper than you can find the 2 hoops and rods for it alone....

Here's another pic...this time a comparison of the standard-available WMP compared to this custom color...you can see, side by side it's actually a significant difference....yet just looking at the kit with no other reference, it'd take a minute to realize it's not as bright as the usual...[/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, that's a seriously cool ring. No joke. Very nice. What's the significance of that design? Very unusual.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Good eye.

Actually...my grandfather was a j-e-w-e-l-e-r (sorry, had to write it like that or it gets blocked (?).... really)

He immigrated from northwestern greece/eastern Albania region and set up shop in Astoria, Queens.

This ring was my Dad's...he wore it almost all of his adult life. I remember the ring on his hand, all sortsa memories of him wearing it. He passed in '02. My mom kept the ring and asked me if I wanted it. So I wear it now. It isn't my style at all...big fat ruby with 4 bordering diamonds...but it is significant... reminds me of him....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Outstanding story. Thank you.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Better pics in full daylight...shows off the wrap color much closer to what it really is.....[/COLOR]

2 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here