Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Low Budget Recommendations!

Hello friends! I have a mission I am set out on and I would like some help and advice from the wise people on here :)

Here's my objective: I have a friend in college out in California (him and I are from Ohio) and he's looking for a player's grade drum kit. He would be playing here in Ohio and out back in California. Only problem is he's on a college student budget, which is ~$300. SO, my goal is to find him a nice player's grade kit that can handle a trip from Ohio to Cali and survive the college life. He's a good drummer, so I'm not worried about him beating the sh*t outta it.

I was thinking looking for a nice MIJ kit for him. Sizes, finish, and # of drums really are flexible, so we're open to a good number of choices here. Am I starting in the right place for this search? Could I find a nice 3 or 4 piece MIJ kit for ~$300? I'd rather not dig through CL and get a beginner's Yamaha kit for him as he's been playing for years, so a MIJ vintage kit came to mind next.

Please make any recommendations to point me in the right direction! I would greatly appreciate it :)

Funny... you ask me anything about 60's era Rogers drums and I'll be able to answer with excitement and precision, but you ask me about MIJ kits and I have no idea where to start... Falling Do

IN SEARCH OF:
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 9x13 rack tom in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 22 OR 24x14 bass drum in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Posted on 7 years ago

PM Sent to you.

Posted on 7 years ago

From vyacheslav

PM Sent to you.

Looks like a solution is close by and on the way!

Posted on 7 years ago

If you get one from a forum member - it will be the result of generosity and/or it needing to be restored. I say this because generally speaking - while MIJs still do not demand much $, they are becoming quite hard to find. Then when you find them, you better be fast - because the good ones go quick. Sure, easy to find some old black Pearl, but the really cool ones that sound great are the 60s ones with the cool wraps.

Perhaps in your situation - and old Tama would be good, as they are known to be real solid and can sound great if the edges are good/true edges/new heads tuned to the shell, etc.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

My D20 is available but it S above your budhet

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

I am always shopping Ebay and Craigslist for drum sets.If you know what to look for and what not to you can succeed in the $300 budget. The last 4 sets I bought were all around $100 and were not crap. Early Exports, 90's Rockstars, and a lot of MIJ/MIT Pearl stencils with hex-rod mounts. I am especially impressed by the 90's Slingy style high tension lug Rockstars. Many come with suspension mounts and after changing out the tom leg mounts and mounted tom mounts to the Gibraltar eye-bolt type (around $50 total) are very good sounding drums. A member here recovered mine in Mahogany veneer and they are BEAUTIFUL!

Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the replies on here! I talked to Alan (vyacheslav) and we settled on getting his pretty orange sparkle kit in May! You all are so helpful and informative, I really appreciate it. I'll be on the lookout for some nice low budget cymbals coming up soon for my friend as well!

Luke

IN SEARCH OF:
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 9x13 rack tom in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 22 OR 24x14 bass drum in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here