Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Louie Bellson - Past away Feb. 14th

Louie Bellson, born July 6, 1924 as Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Balassoni, passed away this past Saturday, February 14th, at the age of 84.

Louie is a friend of the forum and we are featured on his web site. So fond farewell to a very kind person that was always there for so many people.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

This is really shocking, I thought he was gonna be alright for a little longer then hear this.

RIP Louie

He was one of the last greats still alive from that era.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, that is really sad. If I'm not mistaken he was still playing fairly recently.

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

You know, I met Louie Bellson after a clinic he did that I had attended back in 1974... what a gentleman he was... the consummate gentleman! His technique aside... ( flawless! ) ... it was the sound of his drums that blew me away, particularly his bass drums. I went up to him and asked him how he tensioned/tuned his bass drums to get THAT sound... and remember, this was way prior to any pre-muffled or sound control heads like we have today. Well, there were guys waiting to have a chance to speak with him, but he took me over to his drums and manually showed me HOW he got THAT sound. I was blown away... I mean I figured he would just tell me such and such a head at a medium tuning, etc... nope... he showed me. At this time Louie was 50 years young and full of vigor... in his prime!... and he had the chops/technique to show it too! Buddy was ALWAYS my favorite!, but Louie was right up there with him in my eyes too... and in a lot of cases dare I say... much more MUSICAL as a player. Louie Bellson... THE consummate gentleman!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]A true master....and from what I have read, a really good guy, too.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, I was really saddened to here about louie passing,first gene,then buddy,now louie ! just about all the true great pioneers of jazz are gone now!

Im really glad I got to talk to louie a couple of times and getting to shake his hand still warm from an amazing solo is something ill never forget !!! hewas always one of my dads favorites too !!! Im sure buddy is waing at the gate with st.peter for him. youll never be forgotten LOUIE !!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Good jam session going on in a parallel dimension about now! He'll be back.

Rest In Peace, Louie!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

One of a seldom few to take Buddy's seat when Buddy was ill. That speaks volumes for the man's talent. Not to mention that he was married to Pearl Bailey, when color boundaries were very much a prominent thing. From what I've read, a true class act.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here