Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Lotus Snare Weighs A Ton!

Just got this snare with a "Lotus" kit. From what I understand, Lotus was made by Star, but MAN these drums are nice for a Japanese kit. Does anyone know anything about these? They seem to be as well made as American vintage drums.

The kit is chrome over wood, but the shells are not luan. Birch maybe? They are the real deal...plied with re-rings. Heavy as heck and they sound great. Havent gotten a head off to see how many plies they are yet, but I will do that soon. Lugs are rogers beavertail knock off-ish. The mounting hardware looks like swivo stuff. Hex rod stuff with metal ball in socket tilters. Also heavy duty. Sizes are 22/12/13/16.

Trying to figure out what the deal with this snare is. It is SO heavy! Looks like there was some sort of dual throw-off system on it or maybe just an adjustable butt plate. That is long gone and someone drilled it for a standard throw and butt. The shell is NOT brass surprisingly. Because of the weight I just assumed that it would be. It is definitely steel. I just can't understand how a steel drum can be this heavy! It seriously is the heaviest drum I own. The bottom hoop has extended gates like a dyna but with no holes to screw in the little faceplate things.

Anyway...here are a couple of pics. Ill add some of the kit once I get it cleaned up. Any info would be much appreciated as always! Im stoked on this thing!

-Adam

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,

This is definitely a STAR 'King Beat' shell. Yours should also have 10 lugs per side, I guess. I have two of these with a STAR badge on it. The shell was produced in the beginning of the 70s and also for a short time under the later name TAMA (still called 'King Beat' snare drum). If I remember correctly, Steward Copeland played this model on the first Police LP.

A great snare drum! In original the KingBeat had a parallel strainer system which sadly is no longer mouted at yours.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

How impossible do you think it is to get an original strainer? Im intrigued at the possibility of putting this thing back to original. The couple extra holes would probably still show, but its such a cool drum that I think it warrants the job. Its probably near impossible to find the correct strainer though. Then again I have never looked.

Not sure I care THAT much if its going to be a headache or long wait...I think it will sound fantastic no matter what. I don't know how a drum this heavy can NOT sound good. Yes, 10 lugs per side.

Any idea why the snare gates are so extended?

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,

If you try the 'Search' at the top of this site and enter 'KingBeat', you'll find a lot of answers for this great snare drum ... ;)

Here is one out of it:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=4790&highlight=kingbeat

The original snare drum of the Star catalogue:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=8&now=12

Don't matter about the lugs, it was the time of the switch from Star to Tama, so some of the Star snares had the elder lugs, some the newer ones ... and so the very first Tama catalogue showed the same snare drum with your 'newer' lugs and, of course, a Tama badge:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=11&now=8

I know of one snare strainer, sold separately approx. three years ago on ebay USA ...

And here at the VDF is just one guy who might be able to help you: member Mikey777.

Ralf

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for all the info Ralf! Been checking it all out. Some good info around now that I search for "King Beat". Ill ask Mikey about strainer parts!

Thanks again,

Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

Ill be honest: This kit is totally awesome.

Ive been working on it the past few days. I am waiting on Mikey to see if he has a repro parallel strainer that will work for the snare but in the meantime I just put the it back together and cleaned/polished up the two rack toms. Put new reso heads on the racks and 1 ply med coated attack heads for batters and I am already into them.

I just pulled the floor apart to start cleaning it up tonight and I just had to take a couple of pics and post them. The re-rings on this kit are just FAT and the wood is awesome. Smells new. Does anyone know what these puppies are made of? Seems to be birch on the inside...possibly alternating plies of luan? Not sure. The layer that the wrap is adhered to seems to be luan. These things are HEAVY tho!

By my count the drum is 14 plies thick. I assume 10 of those are re-ring. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

The family is getting bigger!

-Adam

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Adam,

This drumkit has EXACTLY the same shell construction as my late Royal Stars, it even looks the same way like mine:

http://forum.tama.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=10071

That's curious ...!

To my best knowledge, the shells are maple, not birch. And they are lacquered inside. I LOVE the sound that comes out of it ... beyond words. I, too, was unable to count exactly all the shell and re-ring plies.

If you are handy, I would recommend giving the rack toms the star cast arms like here:

http://forum.tama.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=9870

The difference in sound is huge against the mount of the toms with the original 'Free-O-Matic' double tom holder (Star called it this way)!

Ralf

Posted on 13 years ago

Been working a lot the past few days. Hoping to get this thing done by the end of the weekend though. The bass drum is the only drum left, but needs the most love by far...

I post some pics when its completed. Thanks for all of your help on this one Ralf!

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

Well. I did it! Finished it up tonight. Its sweet. The picture sucks cause its indoors, but Ill get better ones soon outside. Maybe tomorrow morning before work. Stoked. Now if I can just find that "Star" decal and get a repro strainer from Mikey!

-Adam

1 attachments
111.8 kB
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here