Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Loose seams

Have a set of 60s Ludwig Downbeats and the seams have lifted - is there a quick fix? Thanks.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

I usually use contact cement. I think crazy glue would also work.

Posted on 14 years ago

Good advice. Between the two, contact cement would be the better choice. Crazy glue works just fine, but it does crystallize after a bit. This weakens the bond but it does hold.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, I'm now thinking of how to hold the seam down while the glue dries.

70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice clamps with a solid piece of wood. Don't put the clamp on the drum itself. Use the board to line up with the seam and clamp both ends. Clamp the middle if you have a long clamp. Pad the inside of the drum where the clamp would meet the shell. Leave it for a day and it should be fine. Here's a shot of the board clamped on the seam of a snare I did recently. You can see the pressure is applied consistently to the seam. If your drum is deep, I do suggest using long clamps for the middle section. Hope this helps.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Gotta clean the old glue out with something like Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, or Oops (don't use acetone) or the contact cement bond will be poor (cement needs to be applied to both surfaces too). The hi-bond double-stick tape from drummaker.com also works well. Also you can use the lug holes of the shell to thread some bolts and washers for add'l 'clamps' to wood ;)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-TABC-0202-Web-Clamp/dp/B001DSZXS2/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1266338956&sr=1-14[/ame]

Strap clamps or web clamps work great on round objects.. here is one on Amazon for $12.00.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR=DarkRed]Also you can use the lug holes of the shell to thread some bolts and washers for add'l 'clamps' to wood ;)[/COLOR]

As obvious as that sounds, I never thought of that. I've always clamped. Freekin' genius.

On a side note, it may not be my fault. My wife doesn't trust me with power tools.

True story: early in our marriage, my wife bought me a power drill. I popped it open, plugged it in, and drilled a hole into the wall where I was sitting. I looked at her and said, "cool, it works!" She didn't find the humor in it. Some jokes are not for everyone.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks all, I'm gonna buy those strap clamps

70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 14 years ago

If you use contact cement and let it sit like it needs to before you press the wrap to the shell, you really shouldn't need to clamp it. contact cement creates an instant bond.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here