Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Loose mufflers

Hi all,

I have 2 1970's Ludwig internal mufflers that need attention. The mounts are fine, but the mufflers themselves are very loose and baiscally flop around on the mounts. Any tips on how to tighten them? I was thinking of tapping on the flared end of the rivet with a hammer (like I have done with loose stands), but don't want to break them off.

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

That's exactly what you want to do, just be gentle with the hammer and it will work just fine.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

That is definitely plan A. It's worked for me on various pieces of hardware. Put a cloth over a hard surface -- like the small anvil part of a vice, if you have one.

Plan B would be to drill out the rivet and replace it with some kind of fastener. Something with a small head... and a washer. If you do end up going this way, use a nylon insert lock nyt so it doesn't work loose. Whole lotta' shakin' going on in there!

;>)

Posted on 12 years ago

An old school fix is to wind dental floss around the rivet between the

muffler and the metal piece that it mounts to. Simple and it works.

FWIW

MW

Ludwig Maple 3 ply 22 13 16 '72 SBP
Ludwig Maple 3 ply 20 12 14 '73 BDP
Ludwig CM 20 12 14 2011 Natural Maple
Gretsch Renown Bop 18 12 14 2012 Piano Blk

Ludwig Hammered Bronze 5 x 14 '82 Chicago
Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14 '72 w/Die Cast
Ludwig Jazz Fest 5 x 14 B/O OBP '72
Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14 KS Black Lacquer '67
Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14 B/O '70
Ludwig 6.5 x 14 Birch Natural - Monroe '90s
Slingerland Bronze 6.5 x 14 '70s
Posted on 12 years ago

From MichaelWray

An old school fix is to wind dental floss around the rivet between themuffler and the metal piece that it mounts to. Simple and it works.FWIWMW

+1 that's how I do it. Quick fix and it works.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Love it. The simplest fix is always the first choice for me.

Posted on 12 years ago

Use a coat hanger and wrap it around the pipe and pull it up tight to the bumper or in the back, up to the axle !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

From OddBall

Use a coat hanger and wrap it around the pipe and pull it up tight to the bumper or in the back, up to the axle !!

Falling Do

Been dere, done dat! Great response. Brought back memories... lol

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

From MichaelWray

An old school fix is to wind dental floss around the rivet between themuffler and the metal piece that it mounts to. Simple and it works.FWIWMW

Ok, that's what I'll do, thanks!. The hammer method did not work - not even close.

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Yep, pretty much every Ludwig rotary muffler I receive has this problem. My girlfriend repairs all of them for me by wrapping black thread around around that loose section, making a nice small knot and cutting off the excess thread. Can't even see that the thread is there AND no more rattling!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here