Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Looking Premier grey shimmer wrap

Hi to all. I am new in this. (I'm from Quebec/Canada)

I just got a Premier Outfit 303 and unfortunately the bass drum and the floor tom wrap cracked and I have to change it.

I have a hard time to find the original grey shimmer wrap. I was wondering if my search was in vain or not.

If it's not possible to find some, would I lose a lot of value if I put a new wrap from a good company like Precision ? I love their vintage sky blue finish. :) I am thinking of changing all the drum wrap. My two toms are fine but it won't matches the rest of it if I only change two pieces. Unless I can find the original wrap somewhere.

Here's my drum:

Bass drum: 14x22 Mahoganny

Floor: 15x16 Maple

Tom: 8x14 Maple

Tom: 8x12 Mahoganny

Snare (not original): 5.5x14. I think it's a Premier SD but cannot find any info about it.

All made in England.

If it loses a couple of hundered, I can live with that. But if it loses a thousand I will thing about it. But for me, it lost already a good part of the value because of the original wrap that came of.

Hope I'll have some positive response. :)

Another question. How come I have one tom and the bass drum in mahoganny and another tom and the floor tom in maple ? Is this normal ?

Dave

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi!

And welcome to the forum!

You'll need to post photos of the drums. That would be best.

Also, I've never heard of a drum set that was originally made up from differing woods. I'm no expert on Premier, but that would indeed be a first.

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

Sure it's not birch?

Premier, according to accounts I have read whilst researching, had an odd tendency to use up whatever they had left over. This was whether or not it was hardware, woods, whatever. I have seen kits with two types of lugs, two types of wood, etc. Some '90s and '00s had lug casings dating from the '60s or '70s. Sure there were improvements, but the general design was the same.

Premier didn't use maple until the '90s, I believe. That vintage of kit would have mahogany or birch.

Try to repair the wrap. You won't find this stuff in North America, and maybe not even in Europe these days.

Don't change the wrap- it will make the kit lose significant value. How bad are the tears in the wrap?

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome! Please post some pictures of your kit, interiors as well as exteriors. Please show the damage to the wrap so we may be able to properly advise you of how to repair it, if possible.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your answers.

I'll try to ask a friend with a good camera to take a few pics. The wrap from both the bass drum and the floor where 90% cracked and had missing pieces. No choice, I had to remove it. both bass drum rings are damaged too.

Maybe I'm wrong as for the maple. Maybe it's birch.

Try to get back on you very soon.

Dave

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here