Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Looking for Snare Wires for TDR Snares

I am having a hard time finding ANY snare wires for my TDR drums. I have two of them and I have three or four TDR strainers with butt plates that I plan on using on some drums I am reconditioning. These snare drums used 16 INCH strainers. I know that Puresound makes 14" and 15", but I can't find any 16." Now - I do not mean 16 STRAND - I mean 16 INCH - from end to end. These were for the exended TDR snare drums.

Does anyone know if the 14" Radio King EXtended snare wires that Puresound makes are actually 16"?

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi,

I had the same problem a few years back, owning two Slingy Snares with the TDR Strainer, a 5x14 BR TDR, and a 6-1/2x14 Spitfire, both are mint, but the BR TDR didn't have the original snares, but had Pearl Snares on them. I luckily caught an ebay seller selling off a few NOS, and lucked into one of his auctions.

You are correct, they measure 16" in length. The Pearl Snares were a perfect fit, attached the same way, and sounded pretty much no different that the correct Slingy snares to me. Only by looking closely, one could see the different logo. The only reason I desired the proper snares, was the collector value of the drum, that the Pearl Snares might lessen its value. I know I have these Pearls laying around here somewhere, if you have no luck succeeding in finding them elsewhere. Mark

Posted on 15 years ago

Are those the wires which are pictured in the thread "Slingerland Newbie" in this section ?

Posted on 15 years ago

From Ninefingers

Are those the wires which are pictured in the thread "Slingerland Newbie" in this section ?

Hello, I looked at the pics in that thread, and if you're referring to the Wood Finish Set, and the Snare Drum showing individually adjustable Snare Wires, ala Ludwig Super Sensitive, no, this is not the type of Snare Wires the Slingy TDR Snare Drum (or others that use the TDR Mechanism) use.

They are essentially just like any other run of the mill Snare Wires, yet are longer, being 16" in length, extending beyond the Shell Beads of the Drum, and instead of holes in the Soldered Ends, have slots, to accept either Nylon Straps, or as I've seen on some of these Drums, Clear Strapping Tape.

I'm wondering whether Puresound, or somebody like Gibratar may have something compatible, besides this spare set of Pearl Snares I have on hand? The Pearl Snares I have did work perfectly, I just was bugged about having non-original parts on a flawless museum quality BD TDR Snare Drum. They are a fantastic sounding Snare when set up right, seem less touchy than the 12 Lug Spitifre that uses the same TDR mechanism, and usually, the only thing that goes wrong with the TDR Mechanism, is the little Surgical Rubber Tubing, in that when the little short piece of Rubber Tube goes kaput-rots out, (Which did on my 12 Lug Barrett Deems 6-1/2"x14 Spitfire, that the kind Dr CJW helped me get back up, and running with these little pieces) so does the proper operation of the Snare Mechanism.

Length will be critical, because if they are ever so slightly too long, they won't properly fit in between the TDR Throw-off, and the Butt Plate, and will contact the metal when tensioned.

Sorry I cannot post pics to show the underside of my Spitfire Snare Drum. Hope this helps the original poster, who may eventually spot this info. Mark

Posted on 15 years ago

Just thinking again, as I hit the reply button, I might be in err about what Snare Wires were used? Not claiming to be any authority on all things Slingerland, I believe that yes, some of these vintage Snares may have had individually adjustable Snare Wires, but I am unsure if they were used as well on the TDR Throwoff?

Hopefully, somebody will come along, like perhaps drcjw, who can either confirm, or correct what I have previously written-posted. I certainly wouldn't wish to pass flawed information, unto other forumites. Mark

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Would a Ludwig Classic snare wires rig work?...they also were oversized to pit the Classic strainers and butts. But you might have to alter the holes in the endplates of the snare wires....

Sounds like the same concept...maybe differently designed....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Older TDR had individual adjustable strands with a plate in the strainer end that made it like the typical strap. Later TDR changed the other end and added a strap clamp on the other end, like your average snare. (Still way not average, but closer)

What's the best option for replacing the imitation gut snare wires on my TDR? Individually adjustable.

Posted on 7 years ago

after an extensive search I once found out that gibraltar (or pure sound, I cant remember) makes 16 inch long snare wires. can't find the link anymore, but it's out there somewhere.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here