Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Looking for Snare to Restore

Hey folks,

I'm new to the site. I used to own a '53 Sky Blue Pearl Round Badge Gretsch Kit that I restored and sold to a guy in Spain on eBay. Since that, I haven't restored a drum and I'm looking to get back into it.

I'm just looking for a wooden snare of any kind to restore, although I prefer Ludwig or Gretsch. I could even take a marching snare. The condition of the drum really doesn't matter to me except that the wood must be in good condition. I haven't re-cut bearing edges before and I'm not looking to start now. Other than that, I'm not partial to the condition of the wrap/paint, lugs, rims, hardware, etc.

So, if you have a drum laying around that you haven't done anything with for a while, consider selling it to me. Thanks!

-Jon

Posted on 15 years ago

No snares for sale right now, but I did want to chime in to say that cutting bearing edges is *not* that hard. You need a router table and some sandpaper.

I recut the edges on an old Kent snare. Went for the 45 degree angle instead of the round-over they usually used. The drum sounds great and the actual process took maybe an hour total.

I may be doing another snare and if I do, I'll snap pics of the process and see if I can post them here as a how-to for other members.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

I should also add that I'm not planning on restoring it and then turning it around for a profit on eBay or Craig's List. I know people on here usually frown on that.

The only reason I sold my Gretsch kit was because I wanted a custom kit. I opted out for the Pork Pie in Silver Sparkle.

Also, I'm looking for a snare with no damage to the bearing edge because I don't own a router table. I know cutting it is relatively easy, but I don't have the equipment to do it.

Still looking...

Posted on 15 years ago

Still looking...

Any takers?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have an old 12x15 Rogers synasonic marching snare shell if you want it. It's blue and silver sparkle. Just the shell, no hardware. edges are great though. It's the Rogers marching shells that had the lacquered interiors, not the painted interiors. It's a 10-lug ea side. It takes Rogers Beavertail lugs..although I believe some other style lugs fit the holes as well (such as the '70's pearl style lugs).

Heck, if you want it, I'll sell it for $10 plus shipping. It's in great condition...the shell and edges. Typical of these duco-wrapped shells, there is some very small gapping between the blue and silver (the silver runs through the center, bordered by the blue top and bottom...typical sorta "school colors" kinda wrap)...but you gotta be very very close to notice it.

PM me....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here