Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Looking For "painter" For Calfskin Head

Some time ago I picked up an "ancient" Leedy Kit from what I believe to be the 1920s. I got it an extremely low price since, somewhere down the line, someone painted the wooden shells silver. The snare drum that came with the kit was a Leedy Professional Model with gold hardware. Rather unique! I've since sold the snare and have just finished stripping all the silver paint off of the shell of the bass drum. The bass actually has four lights mounted on the interior of the shell and came with its original calfskin heads.

Since I'm keeping the bass strictly for display purposes, I'd like to have some sort of vintage artwork painted on one of the heads so that I can light it up in the evening. Since I'm from the "baby boomer" generation, my preference would be something like a Big Band ("Swing Era") drummer, a silhouette of a vintage microphone (the kind Sinatra used in his "younger years") or one of those "dames" found on the noses of the B1 Bombers -- anything that might capture that time of American History. I'm open to any suggestions.

My intent is to use the current calfskin head, since it's a unique size -- a little over 25 inches. A "normal" size head wouldn't fit correctly on the shell. Secondly, the calfskin head keeps the vintage look I'm trying to sustain.

Since I've got limited funds to spend, "simple" would be fine with me.

Anyone happen to know an aspiring artist that might want to take on this challenge for a reasonable amount of compensation?

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 17 years ago

Maybe this will inspire you...

Click Here

You might also check in with these guys and see if they have done this before and the best way to do it. They might even be able to do the head for you. The question is the calf head.

Click Here

Also, if it is painted you might consider a modern drum head for price and durability with the paint.

Just a guess...

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Jack Lawton I know does painting of logos on plastic heads but worth checking in if he's tackled anything like this - because it sounds like you need a real craftsman.

Equally any artist used to working on parchment ('cause it's the same) should be able to deliver in terms of knowing which materials to use - then it's a case of if they get the aesthetic. Anybody dealing with art deco furniture in your area is likely to have some expertise here (or hopefully knows someone who does).

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Leedy did use 25" heads back then, so replacing the head could be tough.

Drumart.com can take a picture and put on something that could be applied to the head, and they're really reasonably priced.

Posted on 17 years ago

THANKS TO ALL for your input!

It looks like drumart.com might be taking on the "challenge." I should be finding out shortly.:)

Posted on 17 years ago

The calfskin head's been shipped out to DrumArt. Hopefully, they'll come up with some "unique" artwork for the head. My preference is some sort of Big Band or World War II graphic. Stay tuned!Yes Sir

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here