Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Looking for input on a 10 lug snare I.D.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for posting those pictures

In both examples the drums are clearly Star made drums

one wood one steel ..in each case

the grommets are what one would normally find on a Star drum

Take a look at my pictures

and then study the pictures of John's drum below

In both cases the grommet used is identical

Posted on 8 years ago

My own thinking now is that

sometime after Star's withdrawal from the stencil drum market

Pearl or a distributor working with Pearl made product

to fulfill a still ongoing demand by whomever for Majestic labeled drums

Somehow got hold of some surplus Star made older style (metal not foil)badges

and gave this same "whomever" what they had ordered up

Placing them on what we can all see is a somewhat higher end Pearl made snare drum

Keep the input coming fellas

Posted on 8 years ago

Wow Kenwood - good pic retrieval! I looked and looked and eventually gave up....was looking on my computer for a pic of my snare CLEANED AND POLISHED! Couldn't find it, but absolutely sure I have it on here somewhere!

Meanwhile - playing an identical snare (with no badge) with my Whitehall.

1 attachments
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Hello John

The reality of my pic retrieval was that I got lucky and sort of stumbled on to them

But thanks just the same buddy

Hey John your Whitehall kit is sweet and as for the snare with no badge

Just think with respect to our subject,

it is much more a Whitehall relation than it is a Majestic

If you lack the tiger eye snare slap a Whitehall badge on that lost orphan

In my on line meanderings yesterday I found a snare

same identical drum save for being drilled for only eight lugs

It had a tin "Astro" badge on it

Posted on 8 years ago

I have a 14in Tiger Eye tom....will be cutting it down and converting to a matching snare. Only a 6 lug though. Not sure if I will keep it at 6 or double it to a 12.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 8 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Can't find it right now but this question/issue came up in another thread & Ralf got into the discussion. If I recall correctly he believed that Star made it & I disagreed. I believe that the American retailer had legal right to use the badge on anything & separately outsourced the snare to Pearl & supplied them with the badges or specs/design/blueprints of the badge. Or the retailer could have installed all the badges at the store himself? Not sure how it all went down but I stand firm that Pearl made that snare.

I too believe that my friend, John is correct. A study of the hardware could lead to no other conclusion. True, that lines were often blurred back in the day, but, In my opinion, this is a Pearl made drum.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

Hello,

I guess Drummerjohn33 nails it down:

From Drummerjohn333

... I believe that the American retailer had legal right to use the badge on anything & separately outsourced the snare to Pearl & supplied them with the badges or specs/design/blueprints of the badge. Or the retailer could have installed all the badges at the store himself? Not sure how it all went down but I stand firm that Pearl made that snare.

I'm 100 % sure that the drumsets on my website with Majestic badges are Star made ones.

And I'm 100 % sure that the snare drum on this post is NOT a Star made one.

I think I have to make a correction to my website: the Majestic brand had some Star drums, yes, but whoever owned these badges was not dedicated to Star only, but to Pearl, too (later or earlier - who knows?).

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 8 years ago

From Ralf

Hello,I guess Drummerjohn33 nails it down:I'm 100 % sure that the drumsets on my website with Majestic badges are Star made ones.And I'm 100 % sure that the snare drum on this post is NOT a Star made one.I think I have to make a correction to my website: the Majestic brand had some Star drums, yes, but whoever owned these badges was not dedicated to Star only, but to Pearl, too (later or earlier - who knows?).Cheers, Ralf

The badge in question is the Majestic Deluxe. I have never seen this badge on the thin shells with re-rings. It has always shown up with the thicker shells. Therefore it is safe to say that this badge was also used on some Pearl made drums later in the run - 1968 and on.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here