Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Looking for Gretsch snare lugs and...

First of all, I'm a newbie so be gentle.

I have the choice between buying a Gretsch 10 lug 6 x 14 COB USA shell vs a Brass USA (before it was chrome plated) 8 lug 5 x 14 new-old-stock shell. Both are mid-70's shells I think. I'm a Gretsch nut and can't wait to take on a project like this.

My prob is that, 1. I'm indecisive about which shell to start with so chime there and 2. the center to center measurement of the lug holes is 2 5/16th's inches and I can't find original or repop lugs in those sizes ANYWHERE on the net. Next, it looks from the triangle throw off holes that it is drilled for a lightning throw. I'd be interested to hear your opinions of these strainers as well as replacement suggestions that would be sweet and would fit without drilling.

I currently own a new classic 5 x 14 wood hoops and love it!

Just looking for something metal with a different sound.

Now, to go in a whole other direction, I really like the sound of the old (late 60's) Acros and wouldn't be opposed to jumping on a luddy project a well.

Opinions???? and THANKS for the insight!

Posted on 11 years ago

You may have to go with a tube lug. But, nothing wrong with a good Acro, either....

Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome to the forums. If you can't find help or the answer here, then it doesn't exist.

As far as the Gretsch COB shells go, they are awesome. The 10 luggers are great drums and very heavy when complete with cast hoops.

I noticed they sound a lot better as a listener and not the player. The overtones that are heard while playing are very faint when listening in the audience.

Word of advice, when you start with a bare shell and you have to purchase all of the parts, it's going to cost you a lot.

Shell: $60 - $80 (used)

Lightning throw-off: $80 - $100 (used)

Fishtail strainer: $60 - $80 (used)

Lugs x 10: $80 - $100 (used)

Cast hoops (top & bottom): $80 - $100

Heads: $20 - $30

At the minimum you would have over $380. The only reason I bring this up is because I asked a similar question. I would keep an eye open for a complete or partial drum, if you don't have any of the parts.

I waited and eventually a 4165 (10 lug) Stop Sign Badge popped up on "the bay". I lost the bid, but the high bidder backed out and the seller gave me a Second Chance Offer for my highest bid. The drum is not pitted, but does have typical blemishes/scratches. It cleaned up great.

Good luck with your decision and project.

- Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

I can't even find the tube lugs in those dimensions??? Also, I am interested in the final product, but more interested in the journey if you know what I mean.

Posted on 11 years ago

ablemusic: since you're a Gretschie and I'm a Ludwig lover, you might want to take this off my hands instead.

I've got a vintage 1980's Gretsch USA 6.5" X 14" Maple Natural Lacquer snare drum (the model made famous by Tony Williams but not yellow). Traditional 6-ply shell with silver interior, factory label model #4155, serial #22622. Famed Jasper era shell, 10 lugs top and bottom, die-cast hoops, Lightning strainer and fish tail butt.

One of Gretsch's few vintage snare drums to incorporate 10 lugs per side. With all original hardware, original Lightning throwoff and adjustable fishtail butt, original badge in excellent shape, and original tag on the inside of the Jasper shell this snare, in great condition. The lugs have very minimal marks, the throwoff and butt all function perfectly and are very clean. The Jasper shell is in very nice condition with clear maple exterior and clean silver sealer interior, a few scuffs by strainer. Original Gretsch serial number tag is still affixed to the inside and very legible. $400 will take it off my hands so that I can get another Ludwig snare. These don't show up very often on eBay either….only reason I have it because it came in on a trade.

1 attachments
Jim Lersch in Nixa/Branson, MO
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here