Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Looking for a sample of Ludwig pearl finishes from 1979

Does anyone know where I can find examples on-line of the pearl finishes Ludwig had availble in 1979? A scan of a catalog page would be great. I checked the Vintage Drum Guide and they didn't have a 1979. Thanks! SC

Posted on 15 years ago

not sure how much help this will be, but i just checked a 1980 ludwig catalog. the pearls that were available were black diamond,white marine,pyster blue and sky blue.

mike

Posted on 15 years ago

I also checked a 1980 catalog and didn't see the pearl finish I am trying to identify. Either the finish I saw on a set of 1979 drums was only produced for that one year or I have the wrong year for the drums. SC

Posted on 15 years ago

They did not print catalogs every year and finishes were still available even if they were not in the catalog.

The catalogs are not a definitive resource for a lot of things since they re-printed catalogs and re-used photos.

The 1980 catalog was started in 1979 to get it out in time for 1980. I can put up the 1978 colors.

David

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but I know you could also special order finishes that were not available certain years with Ludwig. For example, I once came across a 6-ply ludwig kit factory finished in Black Panther with blue/olive ROUND corner badges.....these aren't supposed to even exsist, but they did and they were original and not a re-wrap. Black Panther was supposed to have been long gone after 1975 and the round corner badges didn't start until 1979...so......another ludwig anomaly!

Posted on 15 years ago

David,

Thanks for the 1978 catalog page and the information. It's very helpful.

Have you ever seen a late 70s Ludwig kit with a yellow "sunburst" wrap? It doesn't resemble anything I have read about so I am wondering if what I have seen in a picture is just a faded yellow cortex. Maybe it has faded unevenly giving it a sunburst look.

Just guessing now...

sc

Posted on 15 years ago

I would love to see a set of Chrom O wood drums!!! I am thinking it is probably ridiculously cheesy looking but it may just be a snazzy finish. Jumping2

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here