Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Lookin for an 60's Pearl adjustable butt plate or part

Picked up an early 70's President snare in a deal several months ago, it's missing half of the adjustable butt plate. My local parts sellers have failed me, anyone got one of these parts?

Photo #1 is of my incomplete butt plate. Second photo is of a similar drum that I believe has the part I'm looking for.

2 attachments
60's Gretsch Progressive Jazz Green Sparkle
'61 Slingerland Bop Kit Sea Green Rewrap
Round Badge Bop Kit Clone Red Sparkle
'67 Pearl President 13/16/22 Red Oyster Pearl
Posted on 8 years ago

I wonder if Pearl didn't use 2 types of butt plate in the 70's. I have a snare with a similar butt plate to yours, but mine doesn't look like it was designed to be adjusted with a thumbscrew. It has an adjustable plate, but it is attached with 2 chrome screws and both holes are elongated for vertical adjustment.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Yeah, they did. I'd be happy to find either actually, as it appears that they have the same hole pattern.

Posted on 8 years ago

A tempro snare I recently picked up has the same butt plate you are looking for. It seems you have most of the assembly. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can't fashion something for you. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for any parts of this nature. Might be picking up some serious hardware lot soon, mostly MIJ parts. I attached a photo of the lot I'm picking up. Hopefully I'll find what you need in there.

1 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

From ARCHxANGEL

A tempro snare I recently picked up has the same butt plate you are looking for. It seems you have most of the assembly. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can't fashion something for you. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for any parts of this nature. Might be picking up some serious hardware lot soon, mostly MIJ parts. I attached a photo of the lot I'm picking up. Hopefully I'll find what you need in there.

Oh, very cool. I may also need a "Japan" bracket from a similar kit for another project I have. Thanks

Posted on 8 years ago

Bump! Still looking for this part.

Posted on 8 years ago

Haven't picked up the parts lot yet. Seller has been back and forth with me. Hopefully I'll grab them and will find what you need. What is the hole spacing for it though? Might have something that would fit and be adjustable ( another vintage strainer )

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Hate to rain on your parade.....

I have seen vintage Pearl made snares with that assembly as the butt. I believe that's how it came out of the factory. Yes, some had the adjustable butt, and you can slap one of those on it, but point is - those parts on your snare acting as your butt might not be the bottom half of the adjustable butt.

Also, I have never seen one of the adjustable butts that were not already on a drum. It might be very hard to find one as a part, and you may have to buy an entire drum to get it.

If it were me, I would play it as is, as I believe what you have there is actually factory.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Now that I am looking closer - yeah perhaps that is NOT what I was thinking about. With that post with the threaded hole, it appears that that is indeed the bottom half.

Good luck finding that adjustable butt. Yes, I actually use it and appreciate it on my drum. It helps center the wires without remounting it. It also helps you keep them centered on the head in general.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Now that I am looking closer - yeah perhaps that is NOT what I was thinking about. With that post with the threaded hole, it appears that that is indeed the bottom half. Good luck finding that adjustable butt. Yes, I actually use it and appreciate it on my drum. It helps center the wires without remounting it. It also helps you keep them centered on the head in general.

I'm really not attached to the adjustable one, I just happen to have half of it already. There's a fixed version with the same hole pattern, I'd be happy to find one of those. The throwoff does have a tension adjustment on this drum, so an adjustable butt plate isn't necessary.

What I have is held in place with a backing screw and a square nut, which stick out like a sore thumb because they're not even chromed. I just want it to look ok, you know?

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here