Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Look what I unearthed!!

First off - I've also posted this on drumforum so excuse the redundancy for those of you who visit both boards. That being said, I wanted to share this with those of you who haven't already seen it...

I've recently befriended a crusty old retired drummer, who invited me over to take a look at "a couple of old drums" that he's had stowed away in his closet for decades. Obviously, the anticipation had my imagination in overdrive, but even my wildest dreams couldn't have prepared me for the treasures he was to share with me.

First he shows me the Leedy Dreadnaught, WWII era floor tom - rock maple lugs and hoop, tacked on bottom head, missing legs but in otherwise good condition. Would these legs have been wood also? I'm guessing so but would appreciate anyone chiming in that is knowledgable about these drums. Anyway, I thought this to be a neat drum and worth the trip in itself.

Then he proceeds to take a dirty canvas bag out of his closet, out of which he takes this snare drum! It was quite difficult to maintain my composure, but I told him in as calm a voice as I could muster, that I thought it to be a real cool drum that deserved to be cleaned up, and that it was a shame that it hadn't seen the light of day in over 40 years!

A few weeks later, and the drums are mine - for the cool sum of $1000!!!! Mike C has informed me that the engraving pattern dates this drum to 1929. The drum is missing 2 snare gaurd clips, and has been modified with the addition of a 1930s drum muffler. While not perfect, I'm quite pleased with the acquisition. Obviously, it is in need of a restoration. If done properly, this would include stripping and re-lacquering. As I've got no experience in doing so, I'll probably leave it to a professional. Mike C has provided me some before and after pics of similar drums that he's had done, and the transition is absolutley amazing.

A big thank you to Mike for providing his expertise and advise!

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Whoa.Mind Blowi

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

Eye BallEye BallEye Ball

Posted on 15 years ago

Good for you...1000.00 is well below market and for that matter wholesale value so you did very well...I can make that drum look really nice but it will still look its age...it's quite possible that a 1930s L&L tone control will fit those Slingerland tone control holes...looks like the Artgold will clean/polish up well and you won't need to replate anything...let me know if you want to restore that puppy, it's worth the investment given what you paid for the drum(s)...

Mike Curotto

[email]mike@curottodrums.com[/email]

Posted on 15 years ago

Wonderful story and score. Awesome.

I would assume wood legs are correct on the FT, especially since they are missing. Some appropriately sized dowel and artificial aging would probably do the trick.

Congrats!

Posted on 15 years ago

Beauty... Jump For Joy

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 15 years ago

Ah! The snaredrum of snaredrums. Hope you plan to play it. Nothing sounds better.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here