Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

little known fact about 60's Ludwig shells

I know a guy (I'm in my 60's) who worked for Ludwig during the 60's. He told me that after the Beatles did the Sullivan show, they where swamped with orders, making like 2500 kits a month (this is well known) What he says most people don't know is that they where so hard up for wood to make shells, that they used anything. They even used wood from some of the large wooden boxes that certain metal parts came in. He told me the white sealer paint covered a "multitude of sins" ... I guess it just goes to show that "drum sound" is really subjective...

Posted on 16 years ago

I believe it. I was noticing that my 1967 Downbeat bass drum appears as if the center-ply is mahogany and not poplar! And it's pretty common knowledge among collectors of these drums that the white paint was used to cover up blemishes...but "sold" as some kind of sound-enhancing thing. Ah, well, it only lasted through the 60's and then it was gone....which is a big reason why those 60's drums are so very collectible today. The "baseball bat muffler handles....the P-83 throwoff...the wraps tucked into the scarf joint...the ensuing Ludwig "lump"...all those things were "quirky" and yet, that's what 60's Ludwigs were about.

Think of all the great American music -think of how much of it came from that era -the beats of which were likely made using those painted, blemished, lumpy, Ludwig shells.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I wish every drum made today sounded like my '60s Luddys. Just today I received from NYC my 'new' gigging kit, a '65 Club Date in blue sparkle. They are awesome, no matter what wood, nice or 'crappy' they were made of.

It is so true that sound is subjective and all I believe is my ears. And they tell me that these old Ludwigs sound killer.

Peace, Gabor

I am the best in a mediocre way.

www.myspace.com/meyoushe
www.myspace.com/tazmanordog
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I wish every drum made today sounded like my '60s Luddys. Just today I received from NYC my 'new' gigging kit, a '65 Club Date in blue sparkle. They are awesome, no matter what wood, nice or 'crappy' they were made of. It is so true that sound is subjective and all I believe is my ears. And they tell me that these old Ludwigs sound killer. Peace, Gabor

hello, brand new here, i am looking for vintage drum since i only own one gms (beautiful sound too). been playing a lot and more and more with the time. recording myself in my home since i HATE studios.

back to topic:

i actually spoke to a guy who spoke to (yes h?h?) jasper from grestch and yes same thing with them. Not that much mapple on them. flower

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here