Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Lido Supreme bass drum - Awesome Wrap!

Check out the wrap on this MIJ Lido Supreme 20" bass drum. It looks like it's trying to be black oyster pearl, but seems to me made of diamond pearl strands. It's very unique, whatever it is.

I've just got this on short loan to fix it up for a friend. I haven't done anything to it yet but take pics. Played it for a while tonight but it sounded paper-y as the front head has a 2 inch tear near the hoop and no muffling. Looks like a textbook Star made drum (late 60s?) It's missing 3 t-rods and one of the hoops isn't original, but I'm curious to find out how it's gonna sound with new heads and, possibly, some work on the edges.

If anyone knows what kind of wrap this is, please enlighten me!

Posted on 14 years ago

Please tell me he has the rest of the kit. That is avery nice wrap. Are you gonna embarrass him and clean it deep? I think I would. Ask for him to drop off the rest of them after a quick clean on the bass and make those puppie shine. You can call Zzounds and they will beat American Music Supply on the Attack 5 pack. Offered in both rock and fusion sizes, 22-12-13-16 and snare. 20-12-14-snare, I think. You have to check, but I got mine delivered for 32.55 for all new heads, and they have a good feel to the hand. I have not hit them yet. I can check it tonight as I can switch my son's heads since he has a 12" tom. I'll let you know how it works, but since all of my heads, and his, are 40++, they have to sound better.....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

There is a 12" rack tom that matches the bass, but that is all, I'm sorry to say. The rack tom doesn't seem to need any work at the moment. It has a coated Amb on top and a clear Amb reso. I tuned it up and it sounds great. I've played it at the last 3 practices. The snare drum is lost to the drum abyss and there may have never been a floor tom. I'm just glad I get a chance to tinker with and play these things.

I wasn't going to do a lugs-off, all-in cleaning/restoration, I was just going to give it a once over, freshen up the edges (which a previous owner cut to 45*) throw a new head on the front and play it at practice. But after taking off the heads I found that the batter hoop has rotted out. It is bad. I mean really bad. Literally rotting wood. I suspect a barley soda was spilled and never cleaned up. The hoop is going to have to be replaced. Also, the inserts are giving me trouble, which is fine. The time it takes to find compatible inserts will give me a chance to clean up the t-rods, some of which have quite a bit of rust. So being that I'll need to take the lugs off anyway, might as well polish them up to look almost new.

Yes, the Attack head packs are the best deals going right now. I've used them as reso heads I and like them quite a bit, they're easy to tune. And I think the coated snare head is good, too. Seems to be just as good as an Ambassador. I've got one on a 70's Pearl COB right now and it's currently my best sounding snare drum. I like to use coated heads as batters, though, so I haven't used them as batters for my toms. Thanks for the Zzounds tip, though.

Last thing: One of the most interesting things about vintage drums is that when you pull one apart, you never know what you might find. On the bass drum, I was surprised to find that both legs were there. But when I got the head off, I learned that there was only 1 leg, and the other one was a 10 inch spike! I mean really?!? But it actually seemed to work. The days before the internet... How did anyone manage?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

rail consolette - Star-like

lugs - Star-like

T-rods, etc. - Star-like.

Wrap ... no! I've never seen these strands of black pearl at Star.

Some time ago I bought a 12" rack tom (with blue oyster pearl strands) for my single Star bass drum (in blue oyster pearl). That tom has a bracket going into (!) the shell - it doesn't have the Star-like brackets which are applied outside to the shell, always.

So my conclusion: my rack tom isn't a Star tom ...

Perhaps your bass drum is one of these curious things that might have happened in the 60s when importers wanted exactly this wrap together with hardware from Star ?!?!?!

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

I dont know, Ralf. Everything seems to be totally in order to positively identify this as a Star produced drum. (It has the gray interior, by the way.) The badge, lugs, t-rods, cymbal arm, all looks perfectly Star to me. The wrap? There were all kinds of different wraps; sparkles, diamond pearls, oyster pearls, stratas, satins, psych, tiger stripes, onyx, etc, etc. I dont see why this wrap would have been impossible to produce, though maybe it was produced in a smaller batch.

I have no reason to believe the wrap is not original. It is starting to bubble just slightly around the lugs, which is common for wraps this old. Nothing is wrong with the badge, no reason to think it has been removed at any point.

Also, the rack tom has the matching Star bracket for the flat tab mount (AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS! FIRST ONE I'VE PLAYED THAT WORKED DECENTLY! Maybe there is hope for the rail systems I have after all!)

My conclusion, at this point, is that it's a Star made drum with an awesome wrap that you dont see every day (I think it looks nicer than BOP, but that's just me.) Has anyone seen a wrap like this before on any other brand of drum?

Posted on 14 years ago

I have seen this wrap, but cannot for the life of me remember where. I love it! If I could find one, it would be mine, as sson as the WMP comes out of hiding. The job is almost complete. The work has been very labor intensive and the reults are less than 100% satifaction at this point. Maybe I can get around to making the proper repairs to get the desired result after I am done repairing them. Reapirs to my restoration, what a pain in the backside. This is not normal for me, but it is what it is. You will get an understanding when you see what I have done, and why it is a pain.Yes Sir

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

great looking wrap!!!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

@jonnistix ('I have seen this wrap, but cannot for the life of me remember where.' ... )

Perhaps you meant this thread of mine?!

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=8107

I still don't know where it comes from.Help2

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Ralf, thank you for making this connection! I have commented on your thread regarding the origin of your blue diamond pearl 'strand' rack tom. Lots of possibilities!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,Sorry I just saw the P.M. notice today! But,no. My tom closely resembles Ludwigs 60's black oyster. I like the wrap on your drum though.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here