Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Let the games begin

I,ll be starting the restoration as soon as I can get to a Harly dealer to buy some Novus for these Super classics.

Tom

3 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Try this on the wrap...

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07250.html

Very nice old kit!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Is it the flashlight from camera issue or I see your 13' tom more faded than floor and bass drum?

A big challenge...good luck!

I ordered carplan T-Cut color restorer to refresh the wrap on my SC's, and I will share my project here soon as soon tcut arrives.

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 12 years ago

purdie shuffle; I bought those exact same products at a nearby Pep Boys 2 days ago but I figured I would try the Novus system that everyone talks about on the forum.Now I think I will try your system as I have always been impressed with all your Threads/Posts here, they are many & informative. I have always used Wrights Silver Polish thru out my career followed with regular car paste wax. That has worked great for me but the Wrights polish is getting hard to find nowadays.

snurf; Your are right about the fade, its real and thats why I was suspicious about the originality of the wrap on the bass & floor tom, see my post "Disapointed, garage sale". The serial numbers are close but I,am thinking the two drums(bass& FT) have been rewraped. I am still confused, I,am not an expert on drums but know just enought to get in trouble when it comes to restoring drums.

Tom

Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like a fun project and it's the best when all the parts are there. Looks like your in good shape. Clean, polish and play the heck outta them. :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

TMTM - It's not unusual for one drum to be more faded than the others in an old kit. The best way to tell if they were re-wrapped is to check the scarf joint (see if wrap is wound into the shell plies,) and check the back-side of the badge grommet. If the grommet looks all dented or nicked, it's been removed. If the metal lip looks nice and clean, chances are good it's original wrap.

Again, really nice kit. I think you'll like how the Mother's brings the wrap back to life.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Purdie shuffle; I just checked the faded 13" tom and it has the wrap going completely thru the wood scraf joint so that tells me that the rack tom with a serial #54986 is a true non rewraped 63 or so tom. Am I correct?

The Bass drum with a serial #5618 has a wrap joint that is overlapped only. But I also found a scraf joint on this bass, that I assume is the original joint with a wmp? wrap that goes completely thru the joint and is about a quarter turn away from the other lapped wrap. This leads me to believe that this is an original early 60s bass drum that has been rewraped. Am I correct on the bass drum.

Now, the floor tom #465167 has a scraffed joint with what I assume is old wmp and the joint seems to have been opened about 1/16 of an inch and the new wmp re-glued inside this 1/16" bent over and starts the new wrap. I am sure this FT has been rewrapped and it must have been done by a pro because the wrap would have to be heated and bent perfectly coming out of the scraf joint.

This kit is going to be a players kit and if I,am correct in my assumptions I have really learned a lot from you guys/gals on this forum.

Tom

Posted on 12 years ago

I've had really good results with Meguires Plexas. Just did up a amp Krupa Slingerland set that brought top dollar......

Posted on 12 years ago

Purdie shuffle; I just checked the faded 13" tom and it has the wrap going completely thru the wood scraf joint so that tells me that the rack tom with a serial #54986 is a true non rewraped 63 or so tom. Am I correct?

Correct!

The Bass drum with a serial #5618 has a wrap joint that is overlapped only. But I also found a scraf joint on this bass, that I assume is the original joint with a wmp? wrap that goes completely thru the joint and is about a quarter turn away from the other lapped wrap. This leads me to believe that this is an original early 60s bass drum that has been rewraped. Am I correct on the bass drum.

Where the overlap falls doesn't matter. What matters is; the wrap starts -inside- the joint. The overlap can fall over, before, after the scarf joint. If the wrap -is- inside the scarf joint, it's original wrap.

Now, the floor tom #465167 has a scraffed joint with what I assume is old wmp and the joint seems to have been opened about 1/16 of an inch and the new wmp re-glued inside this 1/16" bent over and starts the new wrap. I am sure this FT has been rewrapped and it must have been done by a pro because the wrap would have to be heated and bent perfectly coming out of the scraf joint.

Nobody opens a scarf joint on a drum shell to tuck wrap in there. No 'pro' would do that. If the wrap starts in the scarf joint, then the floor tom is original too. Do me a favor please... take a close-up photo of the back of each badge grommet for me. I'll tell you right away if any badges were removed.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

purdie shuffle; We are just leaving for a night of fun(going to hit some drums tonight,already late) I,ll have the pictures as soon as I can, probably when I get back. Hope thats ok.

Tom

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here